Recover Visiting Teaching Assignments

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jbowen17

Recover Visiting Teaching Assignments

Post by jbowen17 »

We recently had a reorganization of our RS Presidency. Our presidency are usually also the VT district supervisors in MLS. When I was training our new President on MLS, I was shocked to see no VT assignments for the ward. After pondering it,I am thinking our membership clerk deleted the districts when doing the change and chose to delete the districts and also delete assignments instead of replacing the supervisors.

Now I need to recover those assignments. I know this is possible by opening a backup and printing them off and re-entering everything.

Is there another route to go?
Thank you in advance!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Recover Visiting Teaching Assignments

Post by jdlessley »

jbowen17 wrote:Is there another route to go?
Home teaching and visiting teaching data details are only available in local MLS. Once the data is changed or removed there is no other source to recover this data other than the backups prior to the data change.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Once the data is changed or removed there is no other source to recover this data other than the backups prior to the data change.
However, restoring the data impacts the membership and financial side and shouldn't be done without contacting support.

I think you're stuck re-entering it by hand. Less risk, and frankly, less effort.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
jdlessley wrote:Once the data is changed or removed there is no other source to recover this data other than the backups prior to the data change.
However, restoring the data impacts the membership and financial side and shouldn't be done without contacting support.
You won't have any impact to worry about if you:
  1. carefully do a backup of the current data
  2. restore an old backup
  3. print out all the reports you need
  4. never do a Send/Receive while you are working on the old data
  5. restore the backup of current data
  6. enter the data by hand from the printed reports
russellhltn wrote:I think you're stuck re-entering it by hand. Less risk, and frankly, less effort.
I don't think anyone's talking about any option other than that. The question is how to get the data so that it can be entered by hand.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:I don't think anyone's talking about any option other than that.
The OP was looking for alternatives. I think we agree that there are no reasonable alternatives that we know of.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

aebrown wrote: You won't have any impact to worry about if you:
  1. carefully do a backup of the current data
  2. restore an old backup
  3. print out all the reports you need
  4. never do a Send/Receive while you are working on the old data
  5. restore the backup of current data
  6. enter the data by hand from the printed reports
This will lock finances until you do a Send/Receive (after the final restore is done). Then wait 5-10 minutes and do another Send/Receive to get the file down from CUBS.

Another option is to get a paper copy of the assignments from someone in the old RS presidency.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

I am resurrecting this thread because of a current need to get at some HT data dated prior to a complete overhaul of the HT districts and companionships.

The OP mentioned that he could open a backup and print the information needed. Is there a way to do that without restoring the backup file to MLS as suggested in subsequent posts?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

idjeeper2 wrote:The OP mentioned that he could open a backup and print the information needed. Is there a way to do that without restoring the backup file to MLS as suggested in subsequent posts?
The backup can only be read in MLS, so it would need to be restored to MLS to access the information.
idjeeper2

Post by idjeeper2 »

That's what I thought but his wording suggested there might be another route. Thanks for the reply.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”