Help for a Seminary Teacher

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
Bmwkids8

Help for a Seminary Teacher

Post by Bmwkids8 »

We are being encouraged to go all digital and I use mostly digital anyway but I am looking for a way to streamline my preparation.
1. I listen to the lesson while I am doing my morning chores, usually twice.
2. I open the lesson in Gospel Library an highlight things I want to cover.
3. I open the lesson in si.lds.org which has additional videos but no ability to highlight, so now I have the same lesson open in 2 applications and may have to switch to actually show the video clip.

I would love to be able to drag and drop from one side of the page to a blank page - like the screen cut in half - drag a selection over so all I have left on the other side is what I plan to use/cover in the lesson. Then I can add notes and thoughts specific to my class and add in Scripture Mastery activities.

Is it even possible to drag and drop video files, graphics, text and have a split screen arrangement on an iPad?

Are there tutorials on how to maximize the technology we have available so that preparation is simpler than what I am facing right now? I AM tech savvy and know how to navigate the resources.
mevans

Re: Help for a Seminary Teacher

Post by mevans »

I personally use the Notes/Highlighting tool quite a lot for personal study, but when it comes to preparing a talk or lesson, I find myself gravitating toward either a word processor, mind map, or presentation tool rather than using the church's Notes tool (I've tried using it for lesson prep and didn't find it worked for me.)

It's certainly possible to go "all electronic" if you use other tools. One problem you might encounter if you use an iPad is that if you want to copy everything into one app for your lesson that you might have a problem with videos. Gospel Library can download videos. If you want to embed a video in another app and play it from there, you're going to have to make sure that app can download the video content. Either that, or you'll need to switch back to Gospel Library to play the video content. I haven't personally tried out presentation tools like Keynote and PowerPoint on an iPad, but one of those might do the trick for organizing your lesson and letting you embed video/graphics/etc.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

You might try posting this question in the mobile apps section of the forum, too - maybe someone who reads that forum might have some ideas for you as well.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

PamelaBonta wrote:You might try posting this question in the mobile apps section of the forum, too ...
[Moderator note: Please follow the Code of Conduct and "Do not post the same material in multiple threads." (Bold added for emphasis.) The preferred method to draw the attention of readers in one forum to a topic already discussed in another forum is to link to, direct readers to, or reference, the topic/thread in the other forum.]
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”