Highlighting online handbooks

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
bradmartyn

Highlighting online handbooks

Post by bradmartyn »

Due to some of the recent changes in various areas of Church policy/procedures that are now showing up in the online versions of Handbook 1 and 2, our stake is starting to use the online handbooks for training instead of the 2010 print editions. My question is....is there a way to highlight sections of the handbook in the online version that I can access under my login? I am trying to move to all digit and while we have found it simple to highlight in the online scriptures, which then sync to the Gospel Library app on my IPad, we have not found a way to do something similar with the handbooks. It is a little challenging to use the online handbooks as a primary reference vs the print ones which are easy to mark. Any insight on how to mark the online handbooks would be appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Highlighting online handbooks

Post by russellhltn »

In order for something to be highlighted, it must be formatted in a specific way. That's been done with most of the scriptures and teaching material for members. I have no idea if they plan to do that restricted material.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I'm curious how they would handle highlights for sections that are updated...
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevans

Post by mevans »

They'd also have to come up with a way to make your Notes entries go away when you're released from a calling that gives you access to Handbook 1. Even if you couldn't access the content, the highlights would still be visible in the Notes tool.
bradmartyn

Post by bradmartyn »

all good points. Handbook 2 is also available on the gospel library add and I did notice you can mark that. It is possible they could give you access to Handbook 1 under the gospel library app, based on your user login if your calling gives you H1 access. When you are released it could simply go away. They do that with reports that are available based on your login. Regardless, the technology advances in the last few years are remarkable.
bradmartyn

Post by bradmartyn »

Interestingly, H1 showed up in the leadership section on my Gospel Library App yesterday (I currently serve in a stake presidency). H2 has always been there, but now I have both H1 and H2. I was able to download it to my ipad and review it just like any other manual that is available. Highlighting works as well, although not perfect....there are some sections of the handbook that seem to have a formatting glitch and can only be copied to the clipboard, not highlighted....by 90% of it seems to work fine.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

bradmartyn wrote:Interestingly, H1 showed up in the leadership section on my Gospel Library App yesterday (I currently serve in a stake presidency). H2 has always been there, but now I have both H1 and H2. I was able to download it to my ipad and review it just like any other manual that is available. Highlighting works as well, although not perfect....there are some sections of the handbook that seem to have a formatting glitch and can only be copied to the clipboard, not highlighted....by 90% of it seems to work fine.
See this thread https://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=19851 about H1.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”