We Need Help Testing the Scriptures

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
WelchTC

We Need Help Testing the Scriptures

Post by WelchTC »

We need EVERYONE's help in testing a new version of the online scriptures. First let me give you some background.

Over the next year we will be publishing the scriptures on the Internet in about 30 different languages with more languages coming online electronically as we have them available. A key step this plan is to involve the community in helping us test the electronic scriptures before we post them on the main scriptures web site. So we need everyone's help who is willing to donate some time to do some testing.

Currently the Online Scriptures found at http://scriptures.lds.org
is available in English, Spanish, German, Italian, French, and Portuguese. In this new version we will be adding the following languages.
  • Danish (Dansk)
  • Hungarian (Magyar)
  • Dutch (Nederlands)
This new version of the scriptures can be found at http://beta.scriptures.lds.org. For all languages EXCEPT English, the Church only has the Book of Mormon, D&C, Pearl of Great Price, and some of the Study Helps that we publish online. There are no "official Church" versions of the Old & New Testaments for these languages so you will notice that we do not have these books online at this time.

Here is what we need you to do.
  1. Tell all your friends to help! Spread the word that we need help testing. Pass this email to those who have time to run through tests for us.
  2. I've attached a comprehensive test plan to this post. Download and print it out and use it as a guide to your testing. Make sure to complete ALL of the tests listed in this document.
  3. We need ALL languages tested, not just the new languages. The reason is that when we bring on new languages, we sometimes have to change code to support the new language and this could change how old languages behave.
  4. We DO NOT need you to check the translations of the actual scriptures. If you do not speak Hungarian or Tongan, YOU CAN STILL PARTICIPATE. We are looking for broken links, broken functionality, missing translations in navigation and help, etc. If you do see something obvious wrong in the Scriptures text let us know but we have done a very exhaustive review of the "actual text" to ensure it is complete and accurate. We need your help in looking to see if, for example, we still have "English" in the navigation or help system of another language.
  5. DO NOT post "atta-boys" or other miscellaneous comments to this thread. Only post questions, results or problems with what you find. This makes it easier for us to look for results and find issues. We want you to post not only problems. If you were successful in a particular language, post that you ran all of the tests for language "ABC" and found no problems.
  6. Because we have currently 10 languages we need tested, please post which language you are working on. Before you select a language, review this thread and try to pick a language someone else is not working with. Of course if you are familiar with a particular language, test it. We eventually need ALL languages tested (including English).
Our QA lead on this project is Stewart Peatross and you can reach him by private messaging speatross or sending him an email through his profile page. As always you can also private message or email me as I am heavily involved with this project as well.

We are so grateful for a community that is so active and involved with the Lord's work. Thank you for your time and commitment to this process. Please share this link with anyone that can help out. The more people we involve, the quicker the testing will go and the more accurate the product will be.

Thanks for all your work and service!

Tom Welch
Technology Community Manager
Online Scriptures Program Manager
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Attachments
Online Scriptures Community Test Plan.pdf
(94.94 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tomw wrote:Because we have currently 10 languages we need tested, please post which language you are working on.

I'll take German.
aebrown
Community Administrator

General Test Plan issues

Post by aebrown »

tomw wrote:I've attached a comprehensive test plan to this post. Download and print it out and use it as a guide to your testing. Make sure to complete ALL of the tests listed in this document.

It's not a huge problem, but step 9c of the test plan says you will see "all your marked references." But we haven't been told to mark anything yet. We don't even know yet how to mark anything -- that doesn't happen until step 31. So there should be a step to mark something before a test case assumes something is marked. Also, there should be a test case to review the page that appears when nothing is marked -- all the test cases related to the Marked page assume that something is marked, but a totally different page is displayed when nothing is marked.

Also, steps 1-4 ostensibly test the main menu links. Most of the links get further treatment later on, but there is no test case that asks us to look at the Help page. I know we're not supposed to worry about the translated text itself, but there is the potential for problems with formatting and special characters. Specifically, the German version has problems with quotation marks and bullet characters. I will report those separately, but I wanted to give a concrete example of why the Help page should be reviewed.
aebrown
Community Administrator

German Review, Steps 1-11

Post by aebrown »

I found the following issues in the German version while reviewing test plan steps 1-11. A couple of the issues are for steps outside 1-11 because I happened across them in the earlier steps, even though the most appropriate test plan steps come later.

All: There is no test case for the Help page, but the following are problems (upon further review, these seem to be problems throughout the German site, not just on the Help page, but these are some specific examples):
  • Quotation marks in IE appear as hollow boxes, but in Firefox appear properly.
  • In the Footnotes paragraph, the parenthetical symbol for footnotes appears blank in Firefox; in IE it is a hollow box.

10.e. The sentence at the top that lists the search options is missing a space before “von der Heilige Schriften.” So, for example, when you are searching in just the text, it says “allen Formen des Worts, TAUFE in der Textvon der Heilige Schriften” – there should be a space between “Text” and “von”. Also, the word should be "Heiligen" in "von der Heiligen Schriften"

10.f. One of the options is for searching for all word forms. I know that in German, separable verbs are a particular challenge for searching. But when verbs are separated, the search for all word forms does not find them. For example, when searching for all word forms of “umkehren”, there really should be a hit on Moroni 9:3, which contains the phrase “denn sie kehren nicht um”. I know this would require a much more complex search algorithm that actually understands German grammar to some extent, so it must be out of scope for the first version, but I thought I’d mention it.

19.g. Options – In IE, the Save Options button doesn’t actually save options (when you return they are back to default settings). This works fine in Firefox.

35. Marked – If you follow the main Marked link when no scriptures are marked, a page is displayed with the title “Marked Reference Search”. The second paragraph has small square bullets in English. In the German version, in IE, the bullets appear as hollow boxes; in Firefox they don’t appear at all. Also, in the second bullet point, the English version has a note about cookies; that entire Note does not appear in German.
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

Thanks for you help Alan. I've made some changes to the test plan that reflect your suggestions. One of the first things you will notice about this test plan is that it is not comprehensive. If you find holes in it please let me know and we can add test cases as go. Feel free to test any functionality that is not listed in the test plan.

I'm also looking into the issues with German that you have found.

Also anytime you can include a link to the problem please do so.

Thanks for your help with this!
speatross-p40
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by speatross-p40 »

Alan,

I can't reproduce this issue for me there is a space between text and von. Can you provide a link? Is it specific to search results?
Alan_Brown wrote: 10.e. The sentence at the top that lists the search options is missing a space before “von der Heilige Schriften.” So, for example, when you are searching in just the text, it says “allen Formen des Worts, TAUFE in der Textvon der Heilige Schriften” – there should be a space between “Text” and “von”. Also, the word should be "Heiligen" in "von der Heiligen Schriften"
Noted and reported this issue:
Alan_Brown wrote:
  • In the Footnotes paragraph, the parenthetical symbol for footnotes appears blank in Firefox; in IE it is a hollow box.
Cannot reproduce this issue, when I modify any options in the German then click "Save Options" exit then restart IE or Firefox it remembers my options. Do you have your browser setup to remove cookies on exit?
Alan_Brown wrote: 19.g. Options – In IE, the Save Options button doesn’t actually save options (when you return they are back to default settings). This works fine in Firefox.
Noted and reported Thanks!
Alan_Brown wrote: 35. Marked – If you follow the main Marked link when no scriptures are marked, a page is displayed with the title “Marked Reference Search”. The second paragraph has small square bullets in English. In the German version, in IE, the bullets appear as hollow boxes; in Firefox they don’t appear at all. Also, in the second bullet point, the English version has a note about cookies; that entire Note does not appear in German.
The_Earl

IE6 or IE7

Post by The_Earl »

Alan_Brown wrote:I
19.g. Options – In IE, the Save Options button doesn’t actually save options (when you return they are back to default settings). This works fine in Firefox.

35. Marked – If you follow the main Marked link when no scriptures are marked, a page is displayed with the title “Marked Reference Search”. The second paragraph has small square bullets in English. In the German version, in IE, the bullets appear as hollow boxes; in Firefox they don’t appear at all. Also, in the second bullet point, the English version has a note about cookies; that entire Note does not appear in German.

Which version of IE are you using?

Tom:
You should probably include browser / version in your "Reporting Defects" section of the test plan.

Thanks
The Earl
The_Earl

LDS.org link always points to english homepage

Post by The_Earl »

The LDS.org breadcrumb at the top left always takes you to the the english LDS.org page, regardless of the selected language.

The LDS.org language sites seem pretty sparse, but mormon.org has some more fleshed out content.

The "conditions of use" and "privacy policy" are also english only.

The Earl
aebrown
Community Administrator

Followup on German 1-11

Post by aebrown »

speatross wrote:I can't reproduce this issue for me there is a space between text and von. Can you provide a link? Is it specific to search results?
http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/de/searc ... sw=checked

produces "allen Formen des Worts, TAUFE in der Textvon der Heilige Schriften, sortiert nach Relevanz" immediately under the horizontal rule and above the first reference. As near as I can tell, it happens all the time, no matter what the options are, in both IE and Firefox. The above is a copy and paste, so I am sure the space is truly missing.
speatross wrote:Cannot reproduce this issue, when I modify any options in the German then click "Save Options" exit then restart IE or Firefox it remembers my options. Do you have your browser setup to remove cookies on exit?
Hmm. I just tried this quickly at work using IE7 (which I am also using at home). I can't reproduce it. I'll have to take a look when I get home tonight. But I do not have my browser set to remove cookies. I duplicated it several times, because I thought it so odd, and I also tried it using Firefox several times and it worked every time. Curious. I am using Windows XP (Home at home, Pro at work).
aebrown
Community Administrator

One more on German 1-11

Post by aebrown »

I made the mistake of reporting two bugs in one paragraph (10.e.), and I fear that the second bug may have been overlooked (and I only mentioned half the problem in my initial report anyway).

http://beta.scriptures.lds.org/de/se...ked&sw=checked

produces "allen Formen des Worts, TAUFE in der Textvon der Heilige Schriften, sortiert nach Relevanz" immediately under the horizontal rule and above the first reference. The middle phrase should be "von den heiligen Schriften" (the article "der" should be "den" and the adjective "Heilige" should be "heiligen" for a plural dative). Finally, the word "heilige" in German is normally not capitalized (except in a title, which this is not).

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”