Sony EVI-D70 darkness issue

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
harddrive

Sony EVI-D70 darkness issue

Post by harddrive »

At our Jun stake conference, we had issue with picture quality at our remote buildings. We are using an EVI-D70 camera with factory presets. I was told that there were issue with the video quality.

So I began to research to see what was going on and I thought it was the projectors and the way we connected the computer to the closed circuit TV system in the building. So before spending a lot of money, I took time to show our stake president about the quality of the picture.

So on Thursday we had our demo and things wen ok. While we were setting up , I decided to use my phone, which is a Samsung Galaxy S4 to show others the electrical outlet in the chapel. When I did that it was a huge difference in picture.

The Sony camera was dark compared to the camera on the phone. The phone was bright, easy to see and so forth. I was able to press back light key on the remote control for the camera and it helped to brighten things up on the screen. The chapel was fully lite just like it would be for stake conference.

I'm going to read up on the camera setting to see what I can do to make it look better, but has anyone else experienced this issue with the Sony EVI-D70 camera? If so what did you to do brighten it up to make the picture much easier to see?

If I can't get this solved with this current camera, what camera would people suggest that I purchase so that the picture looks terrific. We aren't looking for broadcast quality, but something that will make things look a lot brighter and easier to see.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to the conversation on this.
Terry
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sony EVI-D70 darkness issue

Post by russellhltn »

harddrive wrote:I decided to use my phone, which is a Samsung Galaxy S4 to show others the electrical outlet in the chapel. When I did that it was a huge difference in picture.
How was your phone connected? A long cable could cause the signal to appear dimmer due to loss in the cable. Or for that matter, other equipment in a analog chain.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

russellhltn wrote:
How was your phone connected? A long cable could cause the signal to appear dimmer due to loss in the cable. Or for that matter, other equipment in a analog chain.
Russell, my phone was connect to the wireless in the building. So it was running the vidyo desktop and I was logged into my room.

The entire run of the cable was probably about 120 feet. It comes out of the camera using RCA for about 50 feet and then we switch it to Coax to the satellite cabinet. Then after that we put it into a AV Mixer from Roland and then onto PVC.

We have just completed pulling wire for sound, but at the same time we pulled a HD-SDI certified coax cable from the chapel to auxiliary clerks office. The entire run should be under 200 feet. The only connections will be at each end of the coax cable.

Thanks for the help
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Try putting the camera right next to the computer that will be sending the stream and see what you get. You've got two long runs of cable and a A/V mixer. The way to test things is go as simple as possible and see what you get.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Well, if your phone works better than your camera, you could use that! :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

Sam, I could do that and just use a selfie.

Russ, I will do that when I take the time to go to my stake center to test it out. We are planning to permanently mount the camera in the chapel and we have pull a brand new HD-SDI coax cable to run to our AV mixer. The entire length should be around 200 feet.

I was hoping that someone in this forum have had the same issue and have a work around, so that I don't reinvent the wheel.

Thank again. PS, never got the reply in my email from Samuel Bradshaw, even though I started this thread. Email reminders from this system is lousy (sucks) in my book. If I'm subscribed to something and especially if I post something, I should be getting emails indicating that someone has commented on my post. I shouldn't have to check the forum everyday to see what has changed.

Thanks for listening.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”