"Out of Service" troubles over weekends?

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
Tayuke

"Out of Service" troubles over weekends?

Post by Tayuke »

I'm unsure where/if this is the best place to post feedback re: LDS Maps, if there is an actual feedback form, I'd be happy to pass on my feedback proper, but some discussion to see if its not just me would be useful too....

I currently have a Multi-Stake assignment in Australia that sometimes takes me visiting other wards/branches as required. I do always check just incase with LDS Maps to ensure I have the right ward, correct chapel address, meeting time accurate (9am not 1pm) ect. Usually I do this check just before I leave, Sunday morning of or Saturday evening beforehand.

What's happened on numerous occasions however (I'm talking 10 or so times over a period of 6 months to a year) is that I'll try to visit the LDS Maps website & I'll hit the "Out of Service" maintenance webpage or a generic 404 webapge. Sometimes when I refresh the page, it all works fine and I'm able to find what I need, but most times it doesn't work at all for a period of half-hour, an hour or longer. This is myself trying a combination of my devices, including my Mac (Safari/Chrome), iPad & iPhone. Frustrating in the least, is when I need this great resource, for one reason or another its not working - The latest occurrence just over the weekend, when I gave up after afew attempts at humous times to double-check some information while I was in a meeting.

I'm unsure if its a real bad case of luck, scheduled maintenance over Saturday evening (Our Sunday morning/afternoon in Australia), or something more! What the church has done and what support that is given here to have resources like this available is marvellously and truly helps the work go forth along with supporting the wider membership of the church - Its just difficult to be truly useful in times of real need before/during the Sabbath.

Let me know if that makes sense/any questions or concerns anyone has. Can anyone shed some light on this?
mevans

Re: "Out of Service" troubles over weekends?

Post by mevans »

This is a user-to-user forum. Sometimes church employees participate. The "feedback" found at the bottom of many pages is the official way to communicate with the church.

Overall, the "out of service" messages you see are sometimes common, especially on Sundays when many people want to visit the church site. As you mentioned, you're seeing this when many of us in the USA are asleep; however, I don't know the network architecture of the church systems. It's entirely possible that there are different servers to which traffic in your part of the world is directed. Maybe the US servers aren't too busy, but the servers for your part of the world are getting hit hard. It's also possible that's not the case and things are slow due to scheduled maintenance activities. Without knowing anything about the church network architecture, all I can do is guess.

You mentioned that you're using the maps to determine things like church locations and meeting times. Hopefully the church building addresses are correct, but meeting times can be a problem: they're only good if the human beings in those units remember to update them, and I can tell you that doesn't always happen. I'd recommend checking with someone in the unit to verify the meeting time shown is correct.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'll note that the "out of service" web page appears anytime the servers do not respond in a timely manner. It could be maintenance, it could be something else.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Tayuke

Post by Tayuke »

Thank You for the replies; I realise this is a user-to-user forum, but didn't realise the Feedback link at bottom of LDS.org (Overlooked, my bad); I'll submit proper soon...

I understand a number of factors may be in play with these "Out of Service" messages, which I can understand to a certain degree having studied I.T.; When it however happens on a consistent basis, thats when I question what's going on.

The chapel addresses are handy; But yes, always good to confirm also with local leaders in that Stake re: Ward meeting times. :)

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”