Home Teaching App/Software

ckdavage

Home Teaching App/Software

Post by ckdavage »

Hello Community!

I am currently serving as an Elder's Quorum president and have created some great documents for tracking home teaching over the past year. I put a lot of time into creating a system that works. I realized, however, that every EQ/RS president has to use their own spreadsheets or code to track home and visiting teaching.

Does anyone know if the church will ever make Home/Visiting teaching software that could be linked with MLS/used as an app for reporting/viewing home teaching assignments? I can think of a lot of indications and only a few contraindications. Can we expect any home teaching software to come out any time soon?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Home Teaching App/Software

Post by aebrown »

ckdavage wrote:Does anyone know if the church will ever make Home/Visiting teaching software that could be linked with MLS/used as an app for reporting/viewing home teaching assignments? I can think of a lot of indications and only a few contraindications. Can we expect any home teaching software to come out any time soon?
This is probably the most requested feature on the Forum here (just search for something like "online home teaching"). There are definitely indications that development of such a tool is contemplated or even underway, but we've seen indications several years ago, and some such projects have clearly been put on hold or scrapped.

My personal opinion is that it will indeed happen at some point, but that there are either development challenges or policy/privacy concerns that are holding this up. I certainly wouldn't plan on anything "soon," but no one here has any idea when it might happen -- such schedules are rarely published.
TRAVIS23BE

Post by TRAVIS23BE »

I am currently EQ President. Is there anything we can do from home on MLS or have access to anything in regards to our calling from MLS. I think this is long overdue and if you want Hometeaching to improve this is a must. I do not want or have the time to constantly make changes on 1 computer at the church that is rarely accessible and inconvenient to get to during the week. We are a ward with move-ins and move-outs often and it gets tiring trying to utilize the computer at the church.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

TRAVIS23BE wrote:Is there anything we can do from home on MLS or have access to anything in regards to our calling from MLS.
MLS can only be accessed on the ward's administrative computer in the clerk's office. It cannot be accessed from home. I know it can be a hassle to get to that computer, particularly on Sundays, but most wards figure out a way to do accommodate the various demands on that computer.

Unfortunately at this point, there are no features on LDS.org for maintaining the home teaching organization or recording visits.
TRAVIS23BE wrote:I think this is long overdue and if you want Hometeaching to improve this is a must.
Hopefully home teaching can improve in spite of the current technology. Home teaching should be much more about ministering than reporting mechanics.
tafollam

Post by tafollam »

Need home teaching apps? ?????
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tafollam wrote:Need home teaching apps? ?????
I, for one, plan to wait and see what the Church rolls out late this fall.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I recently stumbled on this app in the Google Play store.
http://draperg.cis.byuh.edu/programming/hyrum/
It was coded by a Computer Science class at BYUH.

It is quite limited, but does give me something I can keep on my Tablet until the Church puts out a solution. I only use it for HP Home Teaching myself.

Sorry, Apple folks, I don't think it has an IOS counterpart.
andrewjamescarvalho

Post by andrewjamescarvalho »

Any developments on Home Teaching App?
Would be nice to be able to schedule appointments with reminders and status.
I currently organize members for weekly cleaning of the chapel and use Google Calendar for scheduling.

Return to “Mobile Applications”