Canon MS300 Scanner SCSI & interfacing Win 7, 64 bit

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
Bizegrama

Canon MS300 Scanner SCSI & interfacing Win 7, 64 bit

Post by Bizegrama »

Help! I’m stumped and before I contact Adaptec (I couldn’t find a Canon person knowledgeable a few weeks ago), I thought I would see if anybody has any suggestions.

DanPass & their FHC director were kind enough to send our FHC their Adaptec 29320LPE PCI-Express Ultra320 SCSI Controller Card. I downloaded the drivers & utility program from Adaptec and SCSI controller installed fine. Adaptec Utility sees the Canon MS300 on Channel A , Slot 2 and the Adaptec Card on Channel A, Slot 7. Also it shows at it boots up. But it does not show in Device Manager.

I have downloaded the Capture Perfect software 1.063 and the Canon drivers MS300ii from both the FHC Application Finder which, from DIS on older computer, and Canon Europe website, all of which supposedly had the Win 7, 64 bit drivers. I have installed and reinstalled software, but cannot get the two to work together. Ran the setup for the all drivers.

What’s interesting is when I go into the CapturePerfect software, if I go under File, Select Twain source it sees Canon MS300 (& 350), but if I select it – screen pops up and says “Scanner Error”, can’t locate SCSI, check cable and power (-4536). I know the cables are ok as it shows up ok in Adaptec Utility.

Any ideas or suggestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Canon MS300 Scanner SCSI & interfacing Win 7, 64 bit

Post by russellhltn »

Bizegrama wrote:What’s interesting is when I go into the CapturePerfect software, if I go under File, Select Twain source it sees Canon MS300 (& 350), but if I select it – screen pops up and says “Scanner Error”, can’t locate SCSI, check cable and power (-4536).
I think what CapturePerfect is seeing is the driver software - but the driver can't see the hardware.

Bizegrama wrote:Adaptec Utility sees the Canon MS300 on Channel A , Slot 2 and the Adaptec Card on Channel A, Slot 7. Also it shows at it boots up. But it does not show in Device Manager.
I think that's the root problem. Windows itself doesn't have the SCSI drivers installed. Consequently, Windows, and windows programs can't talk to the scanner. The Utility can, but it probably has it's own internal driver. You may need a ASPI driver.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Bizegrama

Post by Bizegrama »

Consequently, Windows, and windows programs can't talk to the scanner. The Utility can, but it probably has it's own internal driver. You may need a ASPI driver.
Thanks, Russell. I agree the two do not seem to be communicating.

Yesterday I reinstalled the Adaptec drivers (Win 7 64 bit), and then reinstalled the Canon Drivers again.

The device manager show the Adaptec controller card (as before), but not the Canon MS300.

Which is weird as when I reinstalled controller card, it detected new hardware (Adaptec controlller & Canon MS300) and installed the Adaptec Driver (green check); but not the Canon MS300 (red x). If i do "Add a Device" in control panel, it does not find the Canon MS300.

So it appears that some how it is not recognizing the Canon drivers. I will be calling Adaptec tomorrow am. I will ask them about ASPI file. Seems something is missing. Perhaps they can take a look at the files.

I have to get it up and running by Thursday or have to reconnect it all up to old computer as patrons will need to use scanner for their microfilms. If we just had more room & wall plugs I would leave the old computer up for patrons to use for just that purpose.

Thanks, again.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Bizegrama wrote:Which is weird as when I reinstalled controller card, it detected new hardware (Adaptec controlller & Canon MS300) and installed the Adaptec Driver (green check); but not the Canon MS300 (red x). If i do "Add a Device" in control panel, it does not find the Canon MS300.
That would be an improvement. I wouldn't worry too much about Windows not having the drivers for the scanner as long as the scanning software can work it. But I am concerned that Windows can't even see the scanner.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Bizegrama

Post by Bizegrama »

Praise the Lord!! With the help from Adaptec technical support, which I would give an A+++ for customer service, I got the old Canon MS300 scanner up and running :) .

Some of the settings on the Adaptec SCSI controller card had to changed for Windows 7, 64 bit to see the scanner. Tech support guided me through the changes and voila! I could see the scanner, finally, under other devices.

Then it was just a matter showing it where the drivers were and tweaked the scanning software. Now our FHC is now up & running the old Canon MS300 on the new Dell 7010.

Thank to everyone for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Bizegrama wrote:Some of the settings on the Adaptec SCSI controller card had to changed for Windows 7, 64 bit to see the scanner.
Interesting. First I've heard of a card that had to be configured for 7/64 to work with it. Good to know.

Beryxil

Post by Beryxil »

Bizegrama wrote:Praise the Lord!! With the help from Adaptec technical support, which I would give an A+++ for customer service, I got the old Canon MS300 scanner up and running :) .

Some of the settings on the Adaptec SCSI controller card had to changed for Windows 7, 64 bit to see the scanner. Tech support guided me through the changes and voila! I could see the scanner, finally, under other devices.

Then it was just a matter showing it where the drivers were and tweaked the scanning software. Now our FHC is now up & running the old Canon MS300 on the new Dell 7010.

Thank to everyone for your help.
Can you share what changes were made? We are suffering from the same problem.

Thanks.
Bizegrama

Post by Bizegrama »

Can you share what changes were made? We are suffering from the same problem.
What model of computer and SCSI card do you have? I downloaded from Adaptec (SCSI card) the software for Win 7, 64 bit & the SCSI utility which I installed on new computer. If you have a new SCSI card those programs should be on CD with card. If not new, and haven't already downloaded the programs they are available on Adaptec's website depending on the SCSI card model.

Does your computer see the SCSI card? Ours would boot up, show the Adaptec card & see Canon before Windows initiated. Win 7 would not find the Canon, only the SCSI card itself (in device manager).

The Adaptec tech person (which only took 1 phone transfer to get), had me go into the Adaptec utility program (SCSI Select). That is where we changed the settings. In our case the the Canon MS300 was on ID 2, so that is the column where we made the changes. The Sync Transfer Rate (MB/sec) had to be changed to from 320 to 20. But will have to look in utility to see what else we changed. There was at least one or two other settings she (tech person) had me change.

I will go to FHC on Wed morning, go into the SCSI utility & do a print screen of the settings or record them.

Feel free to PM, if you want.
Bizegrama

Post by Bizegrama »

For all that might need the Adaptec settings for the newer faster SCSI cards, I have attached the setting information edit via the SCSI Utility.
Adaptec settings for Canon MS300.jpg
The hand written column is for the Canon MS300 scanner.
(504.22 KiB) Downloaded 354 times
jrinnis

Post by jrinnis »

I am also have a problem with the Canon 300 scanner. My present configuration is an Adaptec AHA 2930 with a Dell 7020 running Windows 7. SCSI card is set to ID 2. The Canon 300 is ID 3(?). Windows 7 recognized that a SCSI card is installed but no drivers. Tried multiple drivers without success. Multiple call to FHC TECH support have not been helpful. Someone must have an solution that they a willing to share. All the hardware works with a HP/Compaq running XP.

Return to “Family History Centers”