temple sealing info is incorrect on member record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jkfrazier

temple sealing info is incorrect on member record

Post by jkfrazier »

I have a member of our ward who adopted their grandson as a "son". They recently went to the temple and sealed their "son" to them. I received the changed record for the "son", recording the temple sealing, but the change showed the sealing to his biological parents rather that to the adoptive grandparents. How do I correct this?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: temple sealing info is incorrect on member record

Post by jdlessley »

It is possible that the adoption was not recorded in the adoptive parents' records prior to the sealing and the temple only had the birth parents on record. Check the adoptive parents' records to see if the adopted son is on their records. Then contact the temple where the sealing was performed to see what needs to be done to correct the error.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: temple sealing info is incorrect on member record

Post by russellhltn »

IIRC, the membership record only has a checkmark for "Sealed to parents".

The membership system can only track one set of parents. If they've legally adopted their grandson, then you need to change the membership record to reflect that. In this case I'd change the son - that should update the parent's and grand parent's records.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”