Captioning in webcast

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
kerryjcox

Captioning in webcast

Post by kerryjcox »

I have both a Webcast device and a laptop with version 3.0 of the latest LDS Meetinghouse Webcast software installed.
My Stake President has requested that I add captioning to the webcast, i.e. display the name of each speaker below within the picture as well as display the words for the hymns within the webcast.
Looking through all the FAQs and web pages, I am not seeing this anyplace or if this is even possible,
I have heard through 2nd hand accounts that this is possible, but have yet to see it documented.
Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Captioning in webcast

Post by russellhltn »

It's not a function of the webcast software itself, but of a external video mixer that combines the text from a computer source with the image from the camera. So it's possible, but you have to get a capable video mixer. I've heard you can get a used one for a reasonable price as many people are selling off SD video equipment as they upgrade to HD.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

kerryjcox wrote:My Stake President has requested that I add captioning to the webcast, i.e. display the name of each speaker below within the picture as well as display the words for the hymns within the webcast.
Start with this post and keep following the links.

There are other more current posts, as well, that you might search for and find additional information.
jasonhill23
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jasonhill23 »

The new Meetinghouse Webcast solution will give you the option to add titles to the broadcast IF you choose to use Telestream's Wirecast software (http://www.telestream.net/wirecast/overview.htm). If you are interested in participating in testing the new solution please reply to this post, and I will contact you should we need additional participants.
pcardelli

Post by pcardelli »

We do this through the use of our video mixer ATEM TVS, and a free software called JustMacros and a couple custom scripts we have developed with another stake in our region.

Our JustMacro scripts have all the Hymns and can also prep the other overlays. I have looked at other solutions but they are much more complicated. Was looking at Wirecast, but have been burned so much in the past with licenses and other issues that we are sticking with our current solution and only using Wirecast for streaming at this point.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

pcardelli wrote:We do this through the use of our video mixer ATEM TVS, and a free software called JustMacros and a couple custom scripts we have developed with another stake in our region.

Our JustMacro scripts have all the Hymns and can also prep the other overlays. I have looked at other solutions but they are much more complicated. Was looking at Wirecast, but have been burned so much in the past with licenses and other issues that we are sticking with our current solution and only using Wirecast for streaming at this point.
This sounds great – especially the fact that the hymns are already programmed in. I hope that the solution from the church will include this; or at least put it in a future version.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”