Unable to upload photo to lds.org directory

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
frigby

Unable to upload photo to lds.org directory

Post by frigby »

I'm trying to upload a photo on the directory at lds.org. Each time I click on the link to go the person, I get this error message.
"Sorry, data is temporarily not available for this application. Please try again later."

This is an out of unit member in a YSA ward bishopric. He is the 1st counselor. I am the 2nd counselor. I initially created the record but I did not add all the ordinance information. I thought that may have been the problem so I went back in and added all the ordinance information. That did not work either. The next thing I tried was to delete the out of unit member from MLS and transmit. I then entered the out of unit member in again making sure to add all the ordinance information available on the IOS. I then did a re-transmit. That has not made a difference.

I first encountered the issues on LDSTools on my android device. If I click on the photo and select a photo to upload, it says it uploads the photo okay and it appears on my phone. However, once I do a sync, it disappears on my phone. I've checked lds.org and it never gets there. If I click on the little pencil on my device, I get a message that LDSTools has stopped. That's why I went to lds.org and tried to do it there.
I've tried it with several different computers, several different browsers and had several different people try it. We all get the same error. I suspect that behind the scenes there is a more meaningful error message but I can't see it.
MLS support thinks it's an issue with the out of unit member record some way and I agree with them.
The only thing I can think of to try is to delete the out of unit member from MLS and wait until it disappears from CDOL and then re-enter.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Fred
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Unable to upload photo to lds.org directory

Post by jonesrk »

I think the problem is that his photo will have to be uploaded and approved via his home ward where his real membership record is.
frigby

Post by frigby »

That does not explain the "Sorry, data is temporarily not available for this application. Please try again later." I can view all other members using this link but not his. I can also view the Bishop who is an out of unit member.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

frigby wrote:That does not explain the "Sorry, data is temporarily not available for this application. Please try again later." I can view all other members using this link but not his. I can also view the Bishop who is an out of unit member.
The error message is misleading, but I think the outcome is the same. The photo must be uploaded and approved by the home ward. Once that's done, it will be visible in your ward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
frigby

Post by frigby »

Hmm. I thought that I uploaded one for the Bishop who is an out of unit member. Maybe I was mistaken. I will contact his home ward clerk and see if he can do it.
frigby

Post by frigby »

The home ward clerk was able to upload the photo. However, I still can not see it. He can see the photo from his lds.org directory and LDSTools. Maybe it will take awhile before I can see it. I'll wait a few days and see. However,I still get the same error message. Maybe that's normal?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

frigby wrote:The home ward clerk was able to upload the photo. However, I still can not see it. He can see the photo from his lds.org directory and LDSTools.
I would have thought that anything he uploaded would automatically be approved, but maybe not. Some positions can see unapproved photos. Regular members cannot.

You also might have to refresh the page to make sure your browser cache isn't storing old info.

Then there's the question on if he uploaded the photo as "Family" or "Individual". I believe "Family" will show in the listing of Households, but "Individual" will show for calling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
frigby

Post by frigby »

I've waited for several days now but the photo is not view-able for me. I think I will sit down with him on Sunday and have him log in to see what he can see. As far as the message goes. Viewing other wards in the YSA stake, it appears like I get the same message on all out of unit members except those that are from my home stake. A more intuitive message would helpful.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

frigby wrote:A more intuitive message would helpful.
I agree.

Having done some programming myself, writing error messages is something of a art. It goes beyond just making something work, so it sometimes gets shortchanged. It involves trying every situation imaginable to see what happens and trapping it to provide a proper error message.

I'd guess what's happening is that the back end denies the upload request and the front-end falls back to a generic "service not available".

I will forward that on.

jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

Current there is a bug on image services for ward members seeing the photo of a out of unit leader. But out of unit leaders can see the photos of there ward.

image services is currently being worked on to allow for. Better performance and to fix some of these issues as well as photos disappearing on new unit create. I do not have a release date for you.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”