Downloading Video from LDS.org without download option

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
clbates

Downloading Video from LDS.org without download option

Post by clbates »

How do you download a video off of LDS.org that doesn't have the download option when loading? The following is a link to a page with a video that we want to download for viewing in a Sunday School Teaching No Great Call class:

https://www.lds.org/service/teaching-th ... n?lang=eng

How is it done?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Downloading Video from LDS.org without download option

Post by russellhltn »

While it may be possible, we discourage people from trying to download things that do not have a download link. The reason some videos have no download link is that the legal agreements are not in place to permit a download.

I don't think that's the case for this particular video, but discussing how to circumvent the lack of a download link would explain how to bypass legal restrictions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
clbates

Post by clbates »

Almost every video linked on the Your Call to Teach page is like this and does little good if it can't be used for teaching purposes. Most of these videos appear to be church produced and/or some type of conference address.
clbates

Post by clbates »

I want to add this link to a Video Gallery full of videos without a download link.

https://www.lds.org/service/teaching-th ... y?lang=eng

There has to be a permissible way to download these and use them without searching for each source and isolating the excerpt. We are being encouraged to use available media when teaching yet we cannot even use these videos while teaching the Teaching No Greater Call course in Sunday School to show the use of media while teaching.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

clbates wrote:Most of these videos appear to be church produced and/or some type of conference address.
I wouldn't expect a problem with conference addresses. But the church-produced ones could have issues with the contracts signed by the actors. So there can be legal issues over and above simple copyright/ownership.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Not only actors, but often the church contracts for stock video clips (such as of nature), stock images, and background music in videos.

In any case, I found the full version of this particular talk available for download from this page:
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/ ... e-from-god

As was mentioned, church copyrights most likely would allow for private church or home use for direct General Conference recordings with minimal editing. But when there's no download link, you never know. I'd suggest submitting it as LDS.org feedback on these pages, that they should add a download link.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

clbates wrote:I want to add this link to a Video Gallery full of videos without a download link.
The first link you listed is the same as the first video in the Video Gallery you later linked.

In any event, this is a case where the only real way to show them in class is to stream them. They are all short clips, and even if you have a slow Internet connection at the meetinghouse, they will all download if you start them and then pause them to allow them to completely load to your laptop or other device.

Yes, it is frustrating not to be able to download many of the excellent videos that are available and even recommended for teaching. But that is the way it is right now. And this particular video gallery includes several videos that are for sale commercially, but for which the Church still has streaming, but not downloading, rights.

The Church has gotten smarter in how to capture these permissions over the years.
clbates

Post by clbates »

Yes, several of the videos at the video gallery link are excerpts from full length addresses that are available for download. If one has the time, the full length video can be downloaded and cut or cued to the excerpt. Why the full length addresses are available for download and not the excerpts, I don't know.

Streaming in our building is not an option at this time. Our building has a lot of dead spots.
And this particular video gallery includes several videos that are for sale commercially
What videos in the video gallery are available for sale commercially? Most of them appear to be excerpts from conference addresses.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

clbates wrote:What videos in the video gallery are available for sale commercially? Most of them appear to be excerpts from conference addresses.
At least one of the Elder Bednar videos is a resource to a book sold by Deseret Book. I was not really paying attention as I clicked through them, but I believe there were a couple of others.

You are correct that the conference addresses from the Conference Center pulpit should be available, although I agree it is a lot of extra work to download them and find and cue them to the specific reference.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”