New FHC Computers Is RATOC SCSI to USB cable still available

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
Bizegrama

New FHC Computers Is RATOC SCSI to USB cable still available

Post by Bizegrama »

Prayers answered. We finally received two new computers for our FHC, today. Dell OptiPlex 7010 and Dell OptiPlex 9020.

Does anyone know if the RATOC (U2SCX) SCSI to USB cable is still available as it appears production has ceased? If not available, I will have to change the SCSI card to the cascaded computer which can take a full card or see if a smaller card is available.

I will call FHC support tomorrow and see what suggestions they have for our Canon MS300 scanner. It is currently interfaced with HP Compaq 530. Looking at the forum I have noticed many have used the RATOC cable to interface their Canon MS300 scanner.

I looked at the FHC help center, but many of items are not showing even when logged in with LDS sign in.

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: New FHC Computers Is RATOC SCSI to USB cable still avail

Post by russellhltn »

Bizegrama wrote:If not available, I will have to change the SCSI card to the cascaded computer
Before you do that, you might want to look for drivers for that version of Windows. If you've got a 64-bit OS, than you must use 64-bit drivers. You can't use 32-bit on a 64 OS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Bizegrama

Post by Bizegrama »

Thanks, russelhltn

The new computers are both Windows 7 64-bit OS (checked that today). I will look for the drivers for 64-bit. Old computer had Windows XP 32-bit OS.

Don't want to try changing without being able to get it up and running as we have a patron using the Canon scanner for downloading images from some Polish microfilms.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

You might also check with Dell to see if there is an optional "riser" available for your machine's form factor. This allows full height PCI/PCIe cards to mount sideways in the case.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might also look around and see if there's another machine in the center running Win7 that might be a better choice for the microfilm scanner. Either because it accommodates the card or because it's Win7-32 bit.

Also check the various machines for support folders. Some people have found drivers stashed away there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Bizegrama

Post by Bizegrama »

russellhltn wrote:You might also look around and see if there's another machine in the center running Win7 that might be a better choice for the microfilm scanner. Either because it accommodates the card or because it's Win7-32 bit.
At present I have the two new computers the Dell Optiplex 7010 & 9020, the other computers are a cascaded Lenova large console running with 4GB ram Win 7 64 bit, a cascaded old HP Console with only 1GB ram running Win XP 32 bit & never updated, and the old HP Compaq 530 with XP 32-bit which came with the MS300 scanner as "digital imaging unit". My hope was to get rid of the latter two.

Unfortunately, we are very limited on space, I may have to leave the old (10 yr old HP Compaq - which I already replaced HD a few years ago) up and running and put new computer on top of old one and figure a way to use one monitor/keyboard for both. I was hoping to replace the old HP Compaq 530 with the Optiplex 7010. We have the MS300 scanner, computer/monitor/Lexmark MX511dhe all on one 6' banquet table. We have small rolling computer tables for the other two computers of which one I am getting rid of - cascaded HP console.

The options are getting fewer and fewer. Have spent most of morning taking to technical support (most it waiting on the phone). I have spoke the technical support for FHC support - Ratoc SCSI to USB cables no longer available. The few I see on internet are like $600, money we can't afford. I also spoke with Dell, and Canon. Canon suggested I call a couple of places that work with National Archives. So have a few more phone calls to make. But it's looking bleak!!
Bizegrama

Post by Bizegrama »

Update:

A few more phone calls and spoke with technical support at Adaptec (referred by a different company's tech support). Wonderfully helpful person! I am going to check the current SCSI adapter card in the old HP Compaq, if it is an adaptec, she said it might have a driver for Win 7 (which means I can move over to old cascaded Lenovo). Even if it doesn't list on site - to call TS as sometimes they can figure it out.

The other option is a PCI SCSI card to put in the new computer which may be the way I go. She even checked to see what slots the Optiplex 7010 has available and what might work with it. There are two options for cards for the new computer, both operate faster than we need (one is reasonable in price, the other is 3x more). The first one would be best.

TS did say if we purchase, they will have to help us adjust speed as scanner operates much slower than speed of card. But they are equally willing to help if the old card is adaptec, too. Real customer service, I am impressed! They know their products.

Kudos to Adaptec for great technical support personnel. And it only took one phone transfer to get a live person at TS. Hope if I call back tomorrow I get the same person.

Kudos & Thanks to all of you here on the tech forum. I will update as this proceeds.
danpass

Post by danpass »

Bizegrama wrote:The other option is a PCI SCSI card to put in the new computer which may be the way I go. She even checked to see what slots the Optiplex 7010 has available and what might work with it. There are two options for cards for the new computer, both operate faster than we need (one is reasonable in price, the other is 3x more). The first one would be best.
A word of caution, if you go this route.

We were in a similar situation, except that we have the Konica Minolta MS6000 MKII. We purchased a SCSI card for one of our new computers. The card came with Windows 7 drivers. It turned out that Konica Minolta had abandoned SCSI support after Windows XP. The only Windows 7 drivers they had were for USB connections. Our final solution ended up being to buy a USB conversion kit from KM, which replaced the SCSI interface board in the scanner with a USB interface.

The Adaptec PCI SCSI card we bought was not returnable for a refund. PM me if are interested in it. If it will solve your problem, you might as well have it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danpass wrote:A word of caution ... It turned out that Konica Minolta had abandoned SCSI support after Windows XP.
Bummer. The FHC I'm responsible for has a Canon MS300 Microfilm scanner connected to a SCSI card running Windows 7/32bit. So that shouldn't be a show-stopper for the Canon. The card is the one originally given to us with the first WinXP scan station.

danpass

Post by danpass »

russellhltn wrote:
danpass wrote:A word of caution ... It turned out that Konica Minolta had abandoned SCSI support after Windows XP.
Bummer. The FHC I'm responsible for has a Canon MS300 Microfilm scanner connected to a SCSI card running Windows 7/32bit. So that shouldn't be a show-stopper for the Canon. The card is the one originally given to us with the first WinXP scan station.
The SCSI card in our original scan station did not have Windows 7 support. I did try installing it in the new computer, but Windows could not find a driver for it, nor could I find one to download. Your card is probably newer.

Return to “Family History Centers”