Why can't International Units have access to LUWS???

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
MorettiDP

Why can't International Units have access to LUWS???

Post by MorettiDP »

Why can't International Units have access to LUWS??? Some of Church leaders in International areas have a good English fluence, but many that aren't fluent can understand the funcionalities of the LUWS in English. Also, LUWS have many interesting tools that, at the time, only US leaders can access. Have you a date when LUWS can be liberated to international Church leaders (in English even)???
childsdj

Post by childsdj »

While language is a factor, it is the backend database has been the hold up with translations issues as well. You will likely see a rollout of a version that will be used internationally as well as domestically within the year.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

DJC wrote:You will likely see a rollout ... within the year.
Oooooooh. Is that a year as in 365 days from now or before Dec 31st of this year? :D
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Really, the LUWS will be rebuilt and translated to other languages than English???

It's a great news!!!

Thank you for that news!
DenleyAn

Post by DenleyAn »

We recently had a limited pilot program of LUWS in Australia and I think it has just been approved to go nationwide.

What it took was the right person from Australia asking the right person at Church Headquarters the right question, and it took alot of legal discussion. Every country has it's own legal situation regarding privacy laws and that needs to be taken into account on a country by country basis.

My guess is the legal issue is as tricky as the language issue, maybe evn more so, to get more languages on the LUWS servers just requires more robust hardware and software, the legal issues don't go away so easy.

****disclaimer**** I am a Church staff member but the remarks above are merely my own perspective, experience and opinion, not an offical Church response :)
Australia Area ICS Department
leejj

Post by leejj »

Another reason for the delay was places like Asia are on a separate database then those in the US. All databases are supposedly to be consolidated into oneby the end of this year. Fingers crossed. This would then allow the membership information from other countries to interface with LUWS.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

it's so interesting.

You believe that new LUWS will work together with CDOL 2.0, MLS and other membership technologies??? For exemple, new LUWS can work with CDOL in relation to meetinghouses address, office address and other things!
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

It will be nice when this system is extended to other countries. The English speaking countries would seem a natural first step if the legal side is ok.
Any approx timescales would also be of benefit. I hear a "within a year" mentioned but Joel didnt mention anything in his Tech Talk.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dkjorgi wrote:It will be nice when this system is extended to other countries. The English speaking countries would seem a natural first step if the legal side is ok.
Any approx timescales would also be of benefit. I hear a "within a year" mentioned but Joel didnt mention anything in his Tech Talk.
I've seen a Church employee meniton on these forums that they have a goal to have a new version of LUWS (released to many international countries) ready "by the end of the year."
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

dkjorgi wrote:It will be nice when this system is extended to other countries. The English speaking countries would seem a natural first step if the legal side is ok.
It might be important to note that DJC said "within the year." That makes me think he might have meant the year 2008 and not within a year of his comment.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”