LUWS Duplicate Email Notifications

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
brado426

LUWS Duplicate Email Notifications

Post by brado426 »

Every time someone enters a new calendar event, I receive two Email notifications with the same event information contained in the Email. Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this so I can point our ward's LUWS administrator in the right direction?

Brad O.
mprusse

Post by mprusse »

Without testing it, I'm guessing it is because the calendar event was emailed to more than one group, ie: EQ & YM. If you are signed up to receive email notifications for both of those groups, you'll get two emails for the same event. Any one else confirm this?
brado426

Post by brado426 »

macsense wrote:Without testing it, I'm guessing it is because the calendar event was emailed to more than one group, ie: EQ & YM. If you are signed up to receive email notifications for both of those groups, you'll get two emails for the same event. Any one else confirm this?

Though that was good guess, that is not the problem. I am only a member of our Elders Quorum group.

Brad O. (MicrosoftSense) :)
jfackerson

Post by jfackerson »

Is someone else within your family also using your same E-mail address?
As a ward LUWS admin, I can see that several wives within our ward have
probably unknowingly added their husband's E-mail address, although
undisplayed within Membership Directory. They've probably done this
because their familiy still only has one E-mail address.
...Might send a message, via LUWS option, Feedback to ward admin,
for them to check for other family members using your address.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

macsense wrote:Without testing it, I'm guessing it is because the calendar event was emailed to more than one group, ie: EQ & YM.
I belong to all the groups and only get one email.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

H. Forth may have a point where if two family members may have signed up on LUWS with the same email address, it could send more than one email.
brado426

Post by brado426 »

mkmurray wrote:H. Forth may have a point where if two family members may have signed up on LUWS with the same email address, it could send more than one email.

Well, my wife is the only other family member in my household and she hasn't even signed up with LUWS yet. Even if she did, she has a different Email address. I sent feedback to our ward administrator and just got a response that she doesn't know why it is happening and would forward it to the stake administrator. If anyone has any other ideas that I could pass on to our stake and ward administrators, feel free to post.

Thanks,

Brad O.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would carefully examine and compare the email headers. It may contain a clue as to what's going on. It might be the system is issuing two emails for some reason. (Maybe two events with the same name getting approved at the same time?) Or maybe a relay in the middle is sending twice.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The problem of multiple notifications happens to me. I am a stake web site administrator. Whenever I approve a web calendar submittal I get two notifications of the event. In my profile I am a member of no groups or lists. I set up my profile this way some time ago to prevent getting quadrouple notifications. I assumed it had something to do with being an administrator and have learned to live with it. My guess is that I get the first notification because I am the administrator identified to recieve sumittal email notices. The second I assumed I got because my personal email address is the return for messages outgoing from a general broadcast. That is my guess about the multiple message situation.

However, I don't think Brad O. is an administrator - so my reasoning may not be valid. I will check the message headers to see what the route my notifications are taking.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm also an administrator, but I rarely send or approve anything. But the few times I've done it, I haven't noticed anything. Perhaps my email provider is quietly dumping the dupes.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”