Callings Dropping Off

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jordanc

Callings Dropping Off

Post by jordanc »

Recently, I have had callings entered into MLS just drop off. About a month ago I had to go through and re-enter about 30 callings. This morning, I noticed that about a dozen more callings had been wiped out - including the counselors in the bishopric.

What is going on here? Frankly it's too much to keep up with as I now have to keep a separate document with everything I enter into MLS (as I don't trust it anymore). It's a huge pain, and the Stake technology clerk does not know what to do either.

Any ideas? I have not done a refresh of MLS or anything else that would prompt this.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Callings Dropping Off

Post by aebrown »

jordanc wrote:Recently, I have had callings entered into MLS just drop off. About a month ago I had to go through and re-enter about 30 callings. This morning, I noticed that about a dozen more callings had been wiped out - including the counselors in the bishopric.
Before you reenter any callings in MLS, I'd recommend that you check in CDOL or the Directory on LDS.org to see if those callings still exist in the central Church databases. If so, then there's no need to reenter them in MLS -- a Unit Data Refresh will restore them. Of course, there's still some problem that is causing them to disappear from MLS, but in that case you would know that it is only an MLS problem. You would then work with the Global Service Center to try to resolve that problem.

If the callings are gone from both MLS and CDOL, then one big question is where the removal was initiated. It could possibly have originated in MLS, or in some online system. I'm not sure how to determine that, but there are more possible sources of the problem in that scenario.
jordanc

Post by jordanc »

The callings were gone in both locations. In fact, I noticed it first today when I pulled up a "Members without Callings" report this morning in Bishopric meeting and noticed that both of the counselors were on the report.

And now today, neither of them have the necessary access to LDS Tools and such.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jordanc wrote:The callings were gone in both locations. In fact, I noticed it first today when I pulled up a "Members without Callings" report this morning in Bishopric meeting and noticed that both of the counselors were on the report.

And now today, neither of them have the necessary access to LDS Tools and such.
Is there any chance their records were moved out of the ward and then back in? That would raise other questions, of course, but it would be one possible reason they were released from their callings. You can determine that by looking at individual membership records, or by looking at the Moved In / Moved Out reports.

And even if the problem originated in MLS, it's possible that a subsequent Send/Receive would have led to their callings being deleted from CDOL/Directory. So we don't necessarily know exactly where the source of the problem is.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

jordanc wrote:Recently, I have had callings entered into MLS just drop off. About a month ago I had to go through and re-enter about 30 callings. This morning, I noticed that about a dozen more callings had been wiped out - including the counselors in the bishopric.

What is going on here? Frankly it's too much to keep up with as I now have to keep a separate document with everything I enter into MLS (as I don't trust it anymore). It's a huge pain, and the Stake technology clerk does not know what to do either.

Any ideas? I have not done a refresh of MLS or anything else that would prompt this.
The counselors in the bishopric were released because the the bishop was changed. When the old bishop was released in CDOL we automatically released the counselors. Apparently the stake didn't get around to entering the bishop for almost a month.

If you have details on other callings that have been lost recently then PM me with the details (what position and the member's MRN) and I can look into more.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jordanc wrote:Any ideas? I have not done a refresh of MLS or anything else that would prompt this.
From time to time MLS will do a refresh on it's own - typically during a software upgrade. If for some reason those callings never made it into the CDOL, then that would explain it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”