Windows 7 activation

Issues related to the use and operation of Family History Centers
drepouille

Windows 7 activation

Post by drepouille »

I had installed the latest Windows 7 FHC image onto several PCs. At that time, I activated Windows online, and all seemed to be well. However, right after the recent "Microsoft Update Tuesday" on July 8th, the Genuine Advantage scan reverted all those systems to an unactivated status.

We had to call Family History Center Support, and allow them to open a remote connection, download a script that changed the product key, and run the script "as Administrator". Now all is well again.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
danpass

Re: Windows 7 activation

Post by danpass »

Last week, Familysearch support ran their script on two of our computers which had this issue. Our FHC director called me a couple of days ago to report that both computers were again claiming to need Windows Activation. I asked her to call support again and let them know, but she hasn't been back to the FHC yet to do it. Has anyone else had this problem reoccur?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danpass wrote:Last week, Familysearch support ran their script on two of our computers which had this issue. Our FHC director called me a couple of days ago to report that both computers were again claiming to need Windows Activation. I asked her to call support again and let them know, but she hasn't been back to the FHC yet to do it. Has anyone else had this problem reoccur?
Silly question: Are those two computers running Deep Freeze and if so, where they thawed at the time the activation script was run?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danpass

Post by danpass »

russellhltn wrote:
danpass wrote:Last week, Familysearch support ran their script on two of our computers which had this issue. Our FHC director called me a couple of days ago to report that both computers were again claiming to need Windows Activation. I asked her to call support again and let them know, but she hasn't been back to the FHC yet to do it. Has anyone else had this problem reoccur?
Silly question: Are those two computers running Deep Freeze and if so, where they thawed at the time the activation script was run?
No they are not running Deep Freeze.
tomnjeri

Post by tomnjeri »

Are you running 32-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 7? You can check this by right-clicking the Computer icon and going to properties.

If it is 32-bit the activation script doesn't work. It is only for 64-bit Windows 7. If you have 32-bit there is a process you can do with Microsoft to activate them. You need to use the option to call for activation. I did it on 17 computers before I updated to 64-bit. Not too hard and takes only a few minutes per computer.
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

I am having the same problem. Setup my front desk computer, and I am going to be installing Deep Freeze (haven't done it YET), went to install the system at the center. And now I am being told that the copy of Windows may not be genuine. HUH??

Return to “Family History Centers”