HELP !

Gospel App & Game Contest in conjunction with previous LDSTech Conferences
micklem0re

HELP !

Post by micklem0re »

I am making a few gospel apps for the AppStore, for this competition and for fun. However I am need of a little assistance. I didn't know where else to go to ask this question so I'll ask here.

PROBLEM: I am trying to integrate the scriptures into my app. This is not just a scripture app it has some extra features that no other app has. I am trying to replicate the Gospel Library App on how they display the scriptures. However, I need the scriptures I n an easy format for me to easily put them straight into my app. Has anyone made a scripture app before? Maybe if they could give me their source files? Or if anyone has any ideas that would be great. Leave a comment.. Need clarification, just ask.
swtbentley

Re: HELP !

Post by swtbentley »

micklem0re wrote:I need the scriptures I n an easy format for me to easily put them straight into my app.
There are also open source or public domain copies of all the scriptures available which may suit your needs just fine. For example,
http://scriptures.nephi.org

You might be able to request access to the Church's version or APIs, but I'd start with the above or similar.

Best wishes!
micklem0re

Post by micklem0re »

Awesome thank you!
JosephJensenAZ

Post by JosephJensenAZ »

I would also like to use several quotes and references from the scriptures in my game. Do I need permission from the Church to do this? I found no licensing information available on scriptures.nephi.org. Are we allowed to use the scriptures.nephi.org data without permission from the Church? The FAQ says: "Note that the Church is not currently able to consider copyright permission requests from Contest participants." so I assume this includes the scriptures since they are copyrighted?

Thanks!

Joseph
swtbentley

Post by swtbentley »

Hi Joseph. The scriptures themselves are public domain and do not require Church permission to use, quote, include, etc. The Church's particular presentation of the Scriptures (with footnotes, indexing, layout) presents a different issue, but I assume you're looking merely for the text to use. As noted in the Readme.txt file on scriptures.nephi.org, please remember to treat the Scriptures with the respect they deserve.
JosephJensenAZ

Post by JosephJensenAZ »

Yes, thank you for your reply!
Joseph

Return to “Gospel App & Game Contest”