Custom Class bug

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jbh001

Custom Class bug

Post by jbh001 »

In restructuring how certain callings are recorded in MLS 2.8.2 (a clean install, not a patched upgrade), I created the following custom classes in the Sunday Schoolorganization:

Gospel Principles
Principios del Evangelio
Teaching the Gospel
Temple Preparation
Family History
Marriage and Family Relations

Curiously, the "Teaching the Gospel" class also attached itself to several custom callings for cubscouts in the Primary organization. I am not sure if this is reproducible or not, and I haven't had a chance to see what I can do to fix it. Has anyone else come across anything similar?
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I ended up printing a hardcopy (is that redundant?) of the Primary organization so I would have a reference to work/rebuild from, then I deleted all the custom callings from the Primary organization. Then I reset the Primary classes by clicking the Reset Classes link. Then I re-created each custom calling that I deleted and assigned the appropriate personnel to their respective callings as indicated on the hardcopy I printed out. This appears to have remedied it.

It should be noted that previously, callings of Cubmaster, Pack Committee Chairman, etc. were NOT assigned to a specific Primary class. It was several of these "unattached" callings that attached themselves to the "Teaching the Gospel" class in the Sunday School organization as described in my previous post. As part of the "fix," I created a custom Primary class called "Pack ####" (substituting our unit's pack number for the #'s), and "attached" the re-created custom Primary callings to that custom Primary class. Also, since I didn't want MLS automatically placing individuals in that custom class, I set the minimum age for that custom class at 200.

I speculate that the affected custom Primary callings were previously attached at some point to a custom Primary class (such as "Cub Scouts") that was later deleted/removed either manually or via the Reset Classes link. Then when I started creating custom classes in Sunday School, some internal register/variable within MLS that had previously been used for the now deleted custom Primary class got reused/recycled for the new custom Sunday School class. Thus the "pointers' in the custom Primary callings that had been trying to "attach" it to an non-existant primary class, were now pointing to a custom Sunday School class and succeeding in attaching themselves to it.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”