Desktop 5.5 Installation Clarification

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
PEPSIISPEP-p40

Desktop 5.5 Installation Clarification

Post by PEPSIISPEP-p40 »

In the Desktop 5.5 Installation instructions on a new Dell 740 (for a Dell 740 using an external USB CD or DVD drive) where it taks about changing the boot sequence to a USB-CDROM or USB-DVD; can the device be a USB flash drive instead?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much
-Raimo
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I don't see why not, but you'd have to copy the CD/DVD image in such a way that it's still bootable. I think that's a little more complicated then just copying the files over.

Maybe someone here knows the trick to making a bootable flash drive from a bootable disk.
silid

Post by silid »

sorry to resurrect this thread but I thought that this tool may do the job

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

It is designed for linux distributions but may work with any bootable iso? i'd suggest you give it a try.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

silid wrote:sorry to resurrect this thread but I thought that this tool may do the job

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

It is designed for linux distributions but may work with any bootable iso? i'd suggest you give it a try.
There are good reasons not to resurrect old threads. For one thing, the Desktop 5.5 image is no longer distributed, and the instructions for using it have been removed from mls.lds.org. So I don't think we should be discussing how to use something that is clearly no longer the recommended technique. There are specific instructions on mls.lds.org for installing the Local Unit Security Suite on a Dell 740. Follow those.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

While it may no longer be the recommended way, it does give you a backup and restore function you don't get with the 740 instructions.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
silid

Post by silid »

Alan_Brown wrote:There are good reasons not to resurrect old threads.
There probably are, but when searching for something, one thing more annoying than a resurrected thread is finding lots of people asking the same question as you and none of the threads providing any answers.

So in order to assist anyone that may have this problem or a similar one I also suggest http://wintoflash.com/home/en/

I haven't used this with any LDS desktop install image but have used it with BartPE and it worked nicely.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

silid wrote:There probably are, but when searching for something, one thing more annoying than a resurrected thread is finding lots of people asking the same question as you and none of the threads providing any answers.

So in order to assist anyone that may have this problem or a similar one I also suggest http://wintoflash.com/home/en/

I haven't used this with any LDS desktop install image but have used it with BartPE and it worked nicely.
I probably could have phrased my response better. What I was trying to say is that Desktop 5.5 is not recommended for new systems, so there's really no reason to try to solve the issue of figuring out how to put Desktop 5.5 on new systems. It's not really a problem with resurrecting old threads, but that since policy has changed since the thread was started, the proposed solution is now obsolete.

Instead, there are specific instructions for installing Local Unit Security Suite on new Dell 740s that don't involve Desktop 5.5 at all; that is the current recommended practice. I just followed the current instructions for 8 new computers and it worked great.

Return to “Clerk Computers”