Calendar event times and days are all wrong

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
blainenz

Calendar event times and days are all wrong

Post by blainenz »

Sorry if this is a duplicate but I've tried to find the answer to this in other posts without success.

In our Stake we have moved completely to the online Calender and have done away with hard copies that we use to give our Ward and Stake leaders. However, there has been frustrations building due to incorrect times posted in an event in our Stake Calendar. Even Im getting frustrated and have no answer how to fix this.

Heres my dilemma. I create an event such as Temple Recommend interview, add a description, add the start and end date, unchecked the All day event, create the start and end date, Check the This event repeats, set that all up and then Create the Event.

When it takes me back to the Calendar its entered on the correct day and time. I'm happy. However, when I go back to the event the next day it has magically and I mean magically changed to a day earlier and the time has changed as well. Here is a example. Our Stake Presidency meetings are always held 7:00am Sunday mornings but look where it has appeared.

This year I don't know how many times I've changed these events and corrected it. Please help as I'm desperate. Thank you. A worried Stake Clerk from down under New Zealand.
Attachments
event.jpg
event.jpg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 757 times
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Calendar event times and days are all wrong

Post by sbradshaw »

I don't know about time zones in New Zealand, but that's a common confusion when adding events.

When you add an event, it adds it in the current time zone and current time of your computer clock.

When you view an event, it shows in the current time zone and current time of your computer clock.

So, if you schedule an event in one time zone (such as, while traveling) and then go back to your regular time zone, everything will appear off by a certain number of hours.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem you're seeing.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

As sbradshaw mentioned, the time zone of the device being used to view the Calendar affects the way the dates/times are displayed. This can lead to a couple of different points of confusion.
  • If you create the events on one device, but then look at them on a different device that has a different time zone setting, then you might think they are wrong. If you then "fix" the times on that device, then when you go back to the first device, you'll think they are wrong again, and think you need to "fix" them again.
  • A variation on the above scenario is that you may have entered the events using one time zone, but another clerk or someone else who is using a different time zone will think the events are wrong and "fix" them. That will make the events look wrong, so then you "fix" them and then the other person thinks they are wrong again, and so they "fix" them again.... You can check out that possibility by looking at the event details, which will show as the contact the person who most recently edited the event.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In addition to what the others have said, mobile devices tend to get their time zone from the cell tower or network connection. If this is wrong (and it's happened to me) then everything displayed or entered will be wrong. Note that a wrong time zone may not cause your time-of-day clock to be wrong.

Also, time zones are not just the offset from UTC, but also include when you go on/off Daylight Savings Time. This can case you to see problems with some events and not others depending on where they fall in the DST transition.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”