Moving Out Records

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jc12996

Moving Out Records

Post by jc12996 »

What is the policy of moving out records? I am the ward clerk of a BYU Singles ward. People move in and out all the time and it gets rather messy if you can imagine.

Thanks,

John
jc12996

Re: Moving Out Records

Post by jc12996 »

When I say "move out" I am talking about moving the record to church headquarters because we do not know where the new ward they moved to is.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

jc12996 wrote:When I say "move out" I am talking about moving the record to church headquarters because we do not know where the new ward they moved to is.
Until recently there was a high-level description of this policy in Leader and Clerk Resources, which I can no longer find. However, the policy was outlined in an October 2012 letter to priesthood leaders.

In a nutshell, the mandated procedure lists eight steps (nine including bishop's approval) that must be taken before sending a record to headquarters Address Unknown. Check-boxes for those steps are hard-wired into MLS.

See attachment.
AddressUnknownSteps.pdf
(195.18 KiB) Downloaded 922 times
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jc12996 wrote:I am the ward clerk of a BYU Singles ward.
Since you are at BYU, can you check with the school? Seems like they would be cooperative with wards.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jc12996 wrote:I am the ward clerk of a BYU Singles ward. People move in and out all the time and it gets rather messy if you can imagine.
I believe you actually have a membership office there on campus. You might ask around. But the process will still be the same if you really don't know where they are.

I would imagine that your process there should include checking the Y student directory if you are not already doing that.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

If you look on the membership record, doesn't it have "previous ward?" I would think that most of the time that would be their home ward where their parents are. Let that ward clerk find them. :)

Return to “Membership Help”