Printing / Downloading Notebook Content

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
PamelaBonta

Printing / Downloading Notebook Content

Post by PamelaBonta »

It appears that Export is no longer an option for Notes / Study Notebook. Also, the Download option is not currently functional.

However, if you look on the top right hand side of the white space while in your actual Notes area, you should see the word Print. Click on it.

To print an entire notebook, choose Print Entire Notebook, and select from the list of types of entries that you want to download. This should open a new window with everything you selected showing in print-ready format. Right click on the new window and Print or Print to File following the directions of your printer.
PamelaBonta

Re: Printing / Downloading Notebook Content

Post by PamelaBonta »

Sorry - got ahead of myself! The above will print everything.

To print one notebook at a time: In your Notes area, look on the left hand column. Click on the Notebook you want to print. Then click on one of the items in the middle column. When it appears in the right hand column, click on Print and then choose 'Entire Notebook'.
trohlfing

Post by trohlfing »

Printing is fine for a hardcopy. But I wanted to do an export solely for the purpose of being able to restore it when the dreaded time comes that the online server crashes, and all user data is lost. Maybe that will never happen, but I always feel exposed unless I have a backup of my data. I'd hate to lose all the annotations, notes, and comments I've put in for several years.
mevans

Post by mevans »

If you do the type of export you're describing, it's not going to be easy to restore, as it's just showing your highlights and notes and you'd need to manually recreate everything, which would be a significant chore if you've marked much.

The church should be backing up its systems so that they can restore your notes if there's a server crash. Most organizations have a business continuance/disaster recovery policy. I don't know what the church's policy is, but, for example, maybe membership data is a high priority and they decide they can only lose a few hours worth of data changes; however, they might decide for member notes and journal that up to a week of data loss is acceptable and they only back it up weekly. I don't know what the church's policies are, but, in general, the less you're willing to lose, the more expensive it is to implement and you make business decisions and budgets accordingly.

You could always export to a PDF so you don't have to keep printed copies of all your notes. This would be a little easier. I have seen people online complain that suddenly all their online notes and markings have disappeared. I don't know if the church has gone in and restored data when this happens or not. That situation appears to be more of a bug in the software than a server crashing.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”