Household Being Home Taught

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Household Being Home Taught

Post by lajackson »

I have the membership record of a sister who does not show up on the Home Teaching list of Households Being Home Taught. Therefore, she cannot be assigned home teachers.

She is on the VT Sisters Being Taught list.

Why is she not on the HT list? Suggestions? Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:I have the membership record of a sister who does not show up on the Home Teaching list of Households Being Home Taught. Therefore, she cannot be assigned home teachers.

She is on the VT Sisters Being Taught list.

Why is she not on the HT list? Suggestions? Thanks.

You may well have already checked this, but the first thing to do is to check out the household she is part of in MLS. Home Teachers are assigned to a household, not an individual. So only households (as listed by the head of household, and spouse, if one exists) will show up on the list of people to be home taught. Perhaps the sister is part of another household. Other than that, I don't have any ideas -- in my experience, all the households in the ward are eligible to be home taught.

One other thing to note -- as you assign households to be home taught, the list of households is initially filtered by the responsible quorum (e.g., as you are assigning families to be taught by High Priests, the list that is presented to you is just the list of High Priest families). There is a dropdown list in the upper right corner of the Assign Household to be Home Taught dialog that allows you to specify the Head of House Priesthood to filter by: High Priest, Elder, Prospective Elder, No Priesthood, or All. Set that to All to make sure you include everyone.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Along with what Alan has said, is it possible that this is a sister that is married to a non-member, and her husband has been made head of house?

If that's the case, you need to look for her husband in the HT list.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

She is the Head of Household and has a son. All is selected, although I tried HP, then elders, and then returned to All to make sure that function was working. (The son is not HofH or listed, either.)

Several other sisters are missing, as well, although I do not have their names. I think Sunday I will get a complete list from the clerk and see if there is any similarity between the records.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm out of ideas. I'd think HoH would do it, but I'd look to see if perhaps she's under 18. In the old MIS days, I'd suggest rebuilding the index.

Does she have a permanent record number?

Oh! When did she move in? I know the reports won't show new members until the following month. Perhaps it affects assignments as well?
jfackerson

See Individual Record -- Preferred Name

Post by jfackerson »

Same thing happened to me just this week.
I was looking at a sister's paper print Record of Membership which does not display her Preferred name.
HT assignments are sorted by last name based on preferred name.
Go to screen print of Individual Record to view Preferred name. :)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

RussellHltn wrote:I'd look to see if perhaps she's under 18.
Does she have a permanent record number?
When did she move in?
In the old MIS days, I'd suggest rebuilding the index.
Age 37.
Permanent record.
Moved in almost a year ago.
We have done the perfunctory backup/reinstall which, in MLS, is supposed to force a rebuild of the index.
H. Forth wrote:HT assignments are sorted by last name based on preferred name.
Go to screen print of Individual Record to view Preferred name.
Preferred name is there. Maiden name is not, but preferred name is there. Perhaps maiden name has something to do with it?
jfackerson

Unaccountable? Not Yet Baptized?

Post by jfackerson »

In the case, which I reviewed, my person was still listed by her maiden name within
preferred name field. Yes, she was listed on HT assignment list, but under her
maiden name.

Would she not appear within HT assignment list if she were accidentally tagged as
"UNACCOUNTABLE"?
Maybe she's still not yet baptized or confirmed?
Does MLS allow us to assign HT to members of record who are over 19,
but unbaptized or baptized but not confirmed?
Does this wrambling read as if I were grasping at straws? You're right. I am. :confused:
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

H. Forth wrote:... accidentally tagged as "UNACCOUNTABLE"?
Maybe she's still not yet baptized or confirmed? ... grasping at straws?
Accountable, baptized, and not listed under her maiden name. As I mentioned earlier, I will get the rest of the list of names tomorrow and see if I can find a similarity between them.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

From the menu bar, navigate to Membership > Individual Record > select the record in question > Household Members.

Is this person listed as Head of Household?

If yes, is the Household Name the same last name as the Head of Household?

If yes, when you navigate from the menu bar to Membership > Household Record, can you locate the household record there?

If yes, when you navigate from the menu bar to Organizations > HT Reporting > Enter HT Visits > set View by: to Household > set Show for Organization: to All > set Show for District: to All, can you locate the household record there?

If yes and there are no home teachers assigned, click the Assign link.

If not, I would consider doing a unit refresh. From the menu bar navigate to File > Request Unit Refresh Data... > select Membership Records > click OK > then do a Send/Receive Changes > wait two or three days (or more) and then do another Send/Receive Changes. It is best to do this on a non-Sunday to avoid heavier server traffic at CHQ. I recently (since doing a clean install of MLS 2.8.2) did this and did not lose any calling, HT, or VT data. You might want to printout a complete ward directory that lists complete birth dates and membership numbers prior to doing this just in case some records disappear and you need to re-request them.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”