Members not showing online directories and mobile apps

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
toogooda

Members not showing online directories and mobile apps

Post by toogooda »

I am a new new Ward Clerk and trying to solve an issue where only part of the ward directory is available online. I found a solution for emails etc where they can set to private but this is an entire person (in fact 80% of the ward) I have checked one and they don't seem to have anything set to private. Any ideas where else I can check?

Huntly Ward (53694)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Members not showing online directories and mobile apps

Post by russellhltn »

toogooda wrote:I am a new new Ward Clerk and trying to solve an issue where only part of the ward directory is available online.
Where are you looking? With your calling, I'd expect you to see everyone regardless of their privacy setting.

toogooda wrote:I found a solution for emails etc where they can set to private but this is an entire person (in fact 80% of the ward) I have checked one and they don't seem to have anything set to private.
The entire household has a similar setting.

You didn't say what you were comparing this to. Note that non-members you have added to MLS may not show up. Their information isn't transmitted to CHQ. They may show up if their married to a member, but that's not synced with MLS's display.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

toogooda wrote:I am a new new Ward Clerk and trying to solve an issue where only part of the ward directory is available online.
Many countries require members to opt in to the Directory listing. In those countries, members who do not individually agree to be listed will not show in the Directory no matter what the privacy settings.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lajackson wrote:
Many countries require members to opt in to the Directory listing. In those countries, members who do not individually agree to be listed will not show in the Directory no matter what the privacy settings.
This is confusing. The way that members opt-in ("individually agree to be listed" in your words) is to change their household privacy setting. Once they opt-in by setting their household privacy setting to make their household visible, then those households will appear (with individual fields still controlled by their specific privacy settings, of course).
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

aebrown wrote:
lajackson wrote:
Many countries require members to opt in to the Directory listing.
This is confusing. The way that members opt-in ("individually agree to be listed" in your words) is to change their household privacy setting. Once they opt-in by setting their household privacy setting to make their household visible, then those households will appear (with individual fields still controlled by their specific privacy settings, of course).
I gather then that in countries with more privacy restrictions, the household privacy setting in Directory defaults to not visible and the member needs to change it to visible. I was not aware of how the process actually works.

Is it possible, toogooda, that your calling is not correctly listed in MLS as a standard calling? That may be one reason you might not be seeing some of the members.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:I gather then that in countries with more privacy restrictions, the household privacy setting in Directory defaults to not visible and the member needs to change it to visible.
I assumed it defaulted to "Private - Leaders only" until the member changed it. I don't think there's a "not visible to anyone" setting/default.

lajackson wrote:Is it possible, toogooda, that your calling is not correctly listed in MLS as a standard calling? That may be one reason you might not be seeing some of the members.
Likewise, if he had been sustained just this past Sunday, the calling may not have made it to the directory yet.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
lajackson wrote:I gather then that in countries with more privacy restrictions, the household privacy setting in Directory defaults to not visible and the member needs to change it to visible.
I assumed it defaulted to "Private - Leaders only" until the member changed it. I don't think there's a "not visible to anyone" setting/default.
Correct. The household setting is the same 3 options for everyone: "Private - Leadership Only", "Ward", and "Stake". The only difference is that for some countries (e.g., Europe) the default is "Private - Leadership Only" and for other countries (e.g, USA) the default is "Stake". But except for the default setting, all the other behavior is the same, including the means for changing the household privacy setting.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Since toogooda provided a unit name and number, I looked it up in CDOL. This unit is located in New Zealand and the person listed as ward clerk seems to have some name correlation with the forum user name toogooda. I'm not sure what the default privacy setting is for New Zealand.

toogooda, you I'm not certain where you were looking online. If you go to https://clerk.lds.org, can you see the entire ward directory there? Let's make sure that works. If everyone doesn't show there, we definitely have a problem.
toogooda

Post by toogooda »

Sorry for not being clear in my question, I am setup correctly and can see everyone, but those without leadership callings cannot. IE I signed in side be side with my wife and could see only 10 families visible on her login which makes the online tools worthless to non-leaders.

My issue was that when I went into CDOL and checked I could not find and privacy settings saying don't show. But after your comments I did more digging and found it when you edit a household family in lds.org unit directory. It looks like New Zealand has them all set to private by default.

I seem to be able to change the setting for the family so I will ask at least the leadership if I can change the setting and give access to all the ward.

Thank you all for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

toogooda wrote:I seem to be able to change the setting for the family so I will ask at least the leadership if I can change the setting and give access to all the ward.
I'd talk to your area office first. Legally, you may need to get permission from each of the families. There's a reason that the default is "private", and the reason is legal.

It works differently here in the US, so it's not a case of "that's just how it's coded".

There is a downside to strong privacy laws.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”