Knowing membership record number of an excommunicated member

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
bradleyedwards

Knowing membership record number of an excommunicated member

Post by bradleyedwards »

Our ward held a disciplinary council for a person who had previously been excommunicated many years ago.

So in LDS.ORG I went to Confidential > Disciplinary Councils > Report of Church Disciplinary Action > selected Record a reconvened disciplinary council > selected Excommunication > and then I am required to enter the membership record number.

How am I supposed to know the membership number of a person who was excommunicated. I obviously can't do a member lookup.
drepouille

Re: Knowing membership record number of an excommunicated me

Post by drepouille »

Long before the disciplinary council was held, I believe the first step should have been this:

Request Council Minutes or Name Removal Documents from Headquarters
https://www.lds.org/ca/request-minutes?lang=eng

"Membership Record Number is not required if birth date is supplied."
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bradleyedwards wrote:How am I supposed to know the membership number of a person who was excommunicated. I obviously can't do a member lookup.
The bishop will have it on the copy of the report of the previous council he obtained before he reconvened the disciplinary council.
bradleyedwards

Post by bradleyedwards »

Our Stake President instructed our Bishop to destroy the report right after he red it. So we didn't have it. Thanks for the help.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bradleyedwards wrote:Our Stake President instructed our Bishop to destroy the report right after he read it. So we didn't have it. Thanks for the help.
That's correct. And the stake president destroys it as soon as he receives word that Church headquarters has received it.

When the council is reconvened, either the stake president or the bishop requests and receives a copy of the report from Salt Lake so that the reconvened council will be able to determine that requirements of the disciplinary council have been met as a part of the repentance process.

Return to “Membership Help”