The calendar is switching my days and times

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mdtmd

The calendar is switching my days and times

Post by mdtmd »

Brethren, I need help. I am a district clerk in New Plymouth, New Zealand. I am new in my calling. I have spent alot of time getting our district calendar updated and accurate. Twice this past week, when I went into work on the calendar, my NZ times and days have been changed to Utah time and days. The things I entered on Sundays are now shown on Mondays and the times have been changed to reflect Mountain Standard time. How can I prevent this from happening? Elder Michael Taylor, New Plymouth, New Zealand
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: The calendar is switching my days and times

Post by russellhltn »

The calendar takes it's time zone clue from your computer. What time zone (not what time, what zone) is your computer set to?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jeffevannelson
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jeffevannelson »

IT displays the calendar in the users time zone on their computer. so they need to make sure its set to the proper time zone. Also when the calendar is created a event in the machines time zone. This everything it transmitted from browser to our servers in GMT. We just display it for the user in there chosen time zone.
jeffreychristensen

Post by jeffreychristensen »

That is fine and dandy but what do you tell someone who is using a smart phone to view the calendar and they are telling you all the activities are off by 2 hours.
The phone sets the time zone based on where it is.
He is using an Android phone on T-Mobile if that helps.

Thanks,

Jeff
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jeffreychristensen wrote:That is fine and dandy but what do you tell someone who is using a smart phone to view the calendar and they are telling you all the activities are off by 2 hours.
The phone sets the time zone based on where it is.
You explain that the LDS.org calendar does exactly what their phone does with other events. If I set an appointment on my phone's calendar (nothing to do with LDS.org -- just using the built-in calendar) for 5:00pm and then travel east one time zone, that event will now be at 6:00pm. I have to understand that, or I'll be confused. The LDS Tools mobile app, and the LDS.org website's calendar, do the same thing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If the user finds this confusing, he/she can go into "System Settings" > "Date & time" and uncheck "Automatic time zone". The phone will still set it's time based on the cell tower, but it's now fixed to the time zone that the user sets.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jeffreychristensen

Post by jeffreychristensen »

aebrown wrote:If I set an appointment on my phone's calendar (nothing to do with LDS.org -- just using the built-in calendar) for 5:00pm and then travel east one time zone, that event will now be at 6:00pm.
Aebrown, I think your description of the cause of the problem is correct, however he has stayed in the same time zone. And his clock says the correct time.
I don't use Android so I didn't know he could make those changes. I'll suggest that he look into those settings though.
Thanks for the reply.
My Stake President has had a similar problem with his computer. Windows 8 kept pushing his time zone back even after he corrected it. Good thing it was earlier or he would have missed a few meetings.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jeffreychristensen wrote:Aebrown, I think your description of the cause of the problem is correct, however he has stayed in the same time zone. And his clock says the correct time.
I had an interesting experience. I live in a "No DST" area. When daylight savings started, my clock was off. Once I re-started my phone and corrected that, I found some of my recent appointments were off. It seems that one of the local towers had been sending the wrong time zone. Appointments made during that time were now off. But since the clock showed the correct local time, I was none the wiser until that Sunday.

So, just because the clock is right, and you haven't moved into a different time zone, doesn't mean that your phone has the correct time zone. It could be a cell network problem messing with you.

Return to “Calendar”