Changing the category of a repayment

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rgpeder

Changing the category of a repayment

Post by rgpeder »

Ok, so last month we had processed an advance payment of a certain amount. And three weeks ago, we got a certain amount back. And at the time our budget was not separated properly (I am a new clerk, and received little to no training), and lately I have been taught on how to do certain things (such as donations and so forth). Now, our budget is separated (We are a YSA branch) into FHE/INS and Stake Activities, and these are both under the main Category of "Activities. Now, when I have separated the categories, obviously the amount that we received back from the advance payment did not follow and go into the appropriate category. How do I change that in our MLS database? Is there a way I can just transfer that amount? Or, should I go and find the tithing batch that is was processed under and change it there?
drepouille

Re: Changing the category of a repayment

Post by drepouille »

Can you open the donation batch and change the sub-category of the deposit?
Last edited by drepouille on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Changing the category of a repayment

Post by aebrown »

rgpeder wrote:Now, when I have separated the categories, obviously the amount that we received back from the advance payment did not follow and go into the appropriate category. How do I change that in our MLS database? Is there a way I can just transfer that amount? Or, should I go and find the tithing batch that is was processed under and change it there?
The cleanest way is to find the donation and change the category. You should be able to run a Budget Report, selecting the detail report for the category the refund was donated into, in order to find the date of the donation batch. Then it should be easy to update that donation in that batch to have the correct category.

The recategorization will create a transfer, which you will see on your next Unit Financial Statement, but when you run Budget Reports or look at the donation, you'll just see the corrected transaction with the new category.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”