Name format in CDOL

Discussions about other Church websites
mwgrover

Name format in CDOL

Post by mwgrover »

In CDOL, my name is given in full, including the middle name. Other bishopric members have a first name and middle initial, while the clerk and secretary have only their preferred name as listed in MLS.

Curious as to why the inconsistency, and how CDOL determines what name to use for each individual. I would like to change mine if possible but can't find a way to do so.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Name format in CDOL

Post by lajackson »

mwgrover wrote:In CDOL, my name is given in full, including the middle name. . . .
I would like to change mine if possible but can't find a way to do so.
I think you have to contact the folks at CDOL directly. Mine is neither my full name nor my preferred (in MLS) name. I believe it is the version of my name that was sent in by the presiding officer after I was sustained and set apart.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

In general CDOL shows your preferred name if it exists otherwise it shows your full name. But to support General Authorities and a 'formal' name for printing on certificates for bishops and stake presidents we store an additional name format. This is typically first name middle initial. In your case your additional name format is stored as your full name. Let me know what you would like it to be and I'll change it.
mwgrover

Post by mwgrover »

jonesrk wrote:In general CDOL shows your preferred name if it exists otherwise it shows your full name. But to support General Authorities and a 'formal' name for printing on certificates for bishops and stake presidents we store an additional name format. This is typically first name middle initial. In your case your additional name format is stored as your full name. Let me know what you would like it to be and I'll change it.
First name middle initial would be fine, thanks.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Ryan, I don't want to start a huge "me too" thread, but I would also prefer a middle initial in CDOL, rather than having it spelled out. Last year I looked hi and low for a way to change it, but gave up. I'd send you a PM, but I was told church employees have the email notification turned off by default.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Unless I'm mistaken, we can edit our own entries in the CDOL. Just pull up our position (full details screen) and in the upper left is a "Edit Assignment".

At least it looks like I can edit mine. My "CDOL Name" (First, MI, Last) isn't my legal name (First, Middle, Last) and isn't my preferred name (First, Last), so that seems to be the CDOL name is what I can edit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, we can edit our own entries in the CDOL.
I'm sure there are callings that are allowed to edit those fields, but apparently not an Assistant Stake Clerk. I can only look, but not touch.
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Mikerowaved wrote:
I'm sure there are callings that are allowed to edit those fields, but apparently not an Assistant Stake Clerk. I can only look, but not touch.
I'm sure at one point that I was able to edit my Preferred Name, but that seems to be no longer possible. I don't know when this editing change occurred.

A recent change in the Directory, for us in Europe at least, now displays our Preferred Name as entered in MLS. Whether this was when the editing change to CDOL took place. I don't know, perhaps jonesrk can throw some light on that?

FYI - I'm both a Ward Clerk and the STS.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Biggles wrote:
Mikerowaved wrote:
I'm sure at one point that I was able to edit my Preferred Name, but that seems to be no longer possible. I don't know when this editing change occurred.
Currently no positions in the ward or stake can edit the names in CDOL. I believe the plan is to allow that name to be edited via Leader and Clerk Resources when callings can be managed there.
Biggles wrote:A recent change in the Directory, for us in Europe at least, now displays our Preferred Name as entered in MLS. Whether this was when the editing change to CDOL took place. I don't know, perhaps jonesrk can throw some light on that?

FYI - I'm both a Ward Clerk and the STS.
Those changes were not related. About a year ago CDOL did some work to be better integrated with the CMIS (CHQ db for membership) names, but the one weak spot is the support for the 'Church Officer' name format.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Not names, as Ryan later said.

It is an interesting quandary. I have a preferred name I use daily, which is easily edited in MLS (and LDS Directory, I think), and by which I am known and referred to on a normal basis. I have a more formal name I use for official Church documents such as certificates, programs, and other more formal occasions (First, MI, Last, or similar) which is shown in CDOL but is only changed in CDOL at Church headquarters.

And I have my full name, of course, which is on my membership record and does not usually change, but which could be changed with the proper paperwork, justification, approval by the bishop, and by the clerk in MLS.

Return to “Other Websites”