Need a Statistics page

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
zubeldia

Need a Statistics page

Post by zubeldia »

Currently when I use PAF or other standalone applications I can easily tell how many names I have in my names list, and how many families I have in my files. These statistics are useful as I can see the progress, by looking at things like how many names I have added this month, or how many names I have ready for temple ordinances. It acts as a motivating factor, so I can see and measure my progress.

It would be great if we could have some sort of "Statistics" page that would show things like:
  • How many individuals I have on each line
    How many families
    How many of these were contributed by me, and how many were contributed by others
    How many temple ordinances have been preformed, and how many are available or reserved, etc.
    How many pictures were uploaded. How many stories or other documents are available
    Etc.
These statistics ought to be available on a monthly basis, maybe even with charts that show the progress month to month.

Currently the indexing efforts can be tracked every month, so why should we not track the family history progress?

In our ward we are starting a strong push to get every member involved in Family History work, or Indexing, or being proxy for Temple ordinances, and we want to work together as a ward family in these efforts. It would be terrific if we could somehow report the progress we are making as a ward, and it would be a great motivator to continue hastening the work. Maybe in the future the statistics could be consolidated at the ward level and shown to the Bishop, but, for now, having individual statistics for each account would be a terrific "value add" for this site.
palarkin

Re: Need a Statistics page

Post by palarkin »

This is a great idea because you could also find a way to "gamify" family history efforts
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The problem with gamifying family history research is that some people's lines are much harder to research than others – so it wouldn't really be fair to those with harder lines.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:The problem with gamifying family history research is that some people's lines are much harder to research than others – so it wouldn't really be fair to those with harder lines.
Not to mention the size of those families.

And just what is one's "line"? Direct ancestors (grandmother, grandfather)? Siblings? Their spouses? Their off-spring? The spouse's line?

And I'm not sure what the purpose of the stats would be. Because the first to add would get all the numbers, and those who come in second and fill in the details and connect the sources get nothing. In fact you can make your stats look better by avoiding merging with other people's trees. I don't think we want to encourage that behavior.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”