Distribution charges

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
simonmudge

Distribution charges

Post by simonmudge »

Recently I purchased some items from lds.org for both the YM and YW. Out of what category should the charges come from? Or is this just up to the Bishop?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: Distribution charges

Post by aebrown »

simonmudge wrote:Recently I purchased some items from lds.org for both the YM and YW. Out of what category should the charges come from? Or is this just up to the Bishop?
It's up to the bishop. Some wards leave it in the default category; some recategorize such charges to a different single category for the ward; and others choose to recategorize the expenses for the actual organization(s) that incurred the charge.

My personal preference is to charge the organization. After all, the fact that they happened to use Distribution Services to obtain items really makes no difference; they incurred an expense and so it should go against their budget. Not doing that can distort an organization's buying decisions. Also, it can be quite difficult to set an appropriate annual budget for such charges, when no single person oversees the purchases throughout the year.

But ultimately this is the bishop's call.
jasonfitt

Re: Distribution charges

Post by jasonfitt »

aebrown wrote:My personal preference is to charge the organization.
That is what we do. We don't allocate any of our budget to distribution charges, so the expenses get re-categorized to a different budget.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”