duplicate names for same building

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
NPAlemany

duplicate names for same building

Post by NPAlemany »

Hello,
We share a building with our sister stake and they are the agent stake for this particular building. Until recently, we were part of the throng where one stake sharing a building with another stake could not see what the other stake was entering on the e-calendar. Thanks for fixing that.

But here is my question: I notice that there are two names for this shared building in the system in both stakes, "Bering" and "Bering Building". I am assuming one name was entered by their FM group and not the former stake wedsite administrator and the other name was entered by our FM group? Can we "choose" which calendar we enter information on? Or is our default the one that our FM group entered and our sister stake just needs to always keep the duplicate building names checked when they are looking at things in the "week" view of the e-calendar so they don't miss what our stake and/or wards have entered for events in the Bering building? I just need some clarification, Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: duplicate names for same building

Post by russellhltn »

Odds are the duplicate was created when an administrator created a new building because they couldn't see the one from the FM database. I'd highly advise rectifying the duplicate as that's likely to lead to duplicate bookings.

When you go into edit the details of the location, does one of them have a redish "Remove" button? If so, that's the one that needs to be removed. (You can't delete a building from the FM database - only ones that your stake has added.) If neither building has that, then check with the other stake to see if one of their listings has that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
NPAlemany

Post by NPAlemany »

Here is my issue...When I go into "Locations & Rooms", I only see the name "Bering Building", I do not see the second name for the building which appears in the second column of the scheduling screen of just "Bering" in the "select Location" drop down menu.

Yes, I can edit "Bering Building" and remove this building name from the list but it only appears once on this screen and I am concerned that if I do that then there will be NO access for any of the units in my stake to schedule anything in the that building because the location will no longer exist.

What else could you suggest?
Last edited by NPAlemany on Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nancypalemany wrote:Thanks, So that means if I can "SEE" the button that says "Remove", I can remove it myself? That should take care of the problem.
Yes - BUT - be sure to transfer all the activities associated with that building to the surviving building first. Otherwise, I think it will be a mess to clean up. Worse and unless it's your ward, you can't see those events anymore. So you'd have to enlist all the calendar editors to fix it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
NPAlemany

Post by NPAlemany »

Gratefully, our sister stake is still scheduling the building by the old paper and pencil method. So if I eliminated it nothing would be lost, yet.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Odds are the building that's about to be deleted is the one that your stake has been scheduling. It was created because of the shared building bugs and/or because the agent stake didn't share it with you.

If you delete it, then I think what happens is all those events become location-less. And you can't see other ward's location-less events. If any wards have scheduled the building, then they'd have to re-link to the new building or you won't see a conflict.

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nancypalemany wrote:Gratefully, our sister stake is still scheduling the building by the old paper and pencil method. So if I eliminated it nothing would be lost, yet.
If there are events scheduled for that building using your stake's duplicate location, then eliminating that duplication would result in the loss of data. You wouldn't lose any booked rooms associated with the events, since you are not the agent stake, and so you never really booked any rooms. But you would lose information for each of those events about where the event is taking place.

That's why it is wise to make sure that you get things worked out with the other stake (or perhaps with your FM group) so that you see the other building in the Calendar system. Then, as RussellHltn advised, you can systematically move all the existing events to use the correct room and location BEFORE you delete the duplicate location created by your stake.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Assuming you are a building scheduler of the duplicate building, you'll be able to go into every activity and move the location yourself. But once it's placed on another location, you won't be able to edit it unless you are the calendar editor for that unit. That's because only the agent stake can be a building scheduler.

But if you change the events to have no location (by deleting first), and those events are not in your ward - you won't be able to see them, much less edit them. In that case, you'd have to contact a calendar admin for that ward to hunt down every event and make sure it's properly set for the location.

That's why you want to move events and then delete only when there's nothing scheduled for that copy of the building.

NPAlemany

Post by NPAlemany »

I'm the Stake Website Administrator, so that tells you what I can do, plus I'm the "scheduler" for our stake building (I actually prefer the name "coordinator" as I do precious little scheduling and more training, problems solving and helping all units "pay nice" in the building.)

I understand the need to make sure I collect up all of the events our stake has scheduled in this building. Because the sister stake is still scheduling this building by paper & pencil - and assigning days to our wards that use the building, no one puts events on this building's calendar, yet, except for my stake.

So....help me understand. It is our sister stake's responsibility to add and subtract units on the "location & Rooms" page for the units in the buildings where they are the agent stake. We recently created a new ward in our stake and put it in this building, and removed a ward from this building and put it in another building. So I will need to make sure that they understand they need to "Add" the new unit and "Subtract" the unit that left this building on their "location & rooms" screen, correct?

I actually went to visit our sister Stake's Stake Clerk last night, so I could see what their calendar looked like and to verify the visibility problem had been corrected. I can see I'm going to need to help them further as almost all of the buildings they share with other stakes have duplicate names. Its a recipe for "train wrecks" a plenty in the future as all of us get up to speed with the e-calendar.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

nancypalemany wrote: So....help me understand. It is our sister stake's responsibility to add and subtract units on the "location & Rooms" page for the units in the buildings where they are the agent stake. We recently created a new ward in our stake and put it in this building, and removed a ward from this building and put it in another building. So I will need to make sure that they understand they need to "Add" the new unit and "Subtract" the unit that left this building on their "location & rooms" screen, correct?
Correct. Or this can be done by the FM group, who can make an official assignment in their database (FMAT) of your stake and your wards to that building. And make sure that they also add your stake unit (in addition to whatever wards in your stake use that building); that way you can add stake events to that building.

The big challenge you will have is if your stake and wards in your stake use the electronic Calendar to book the building, but the agent stake is using a paper calendar as the "official" calendar for that building, then you'll still have potential for all sorts of conflicts. One way to mitigate that is for the Building Scheduler for that building (someone in the agent stake) is to add restrictions so that your stake can only use the building on the agreed-upon days of the week; any other days would require intervention by the Building Scheduler to allow you to create the event.

Return to “Calendar”