NOT marking records "Do Not Contact" or DNC

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
B_Seegmiller

NOT marking records "Do Not Contact" or DNC

Post by B_Seegmiller »

In previous MIS/MLS instructions, or handbooks (sorry, it's been a while), there was a warning about tagging members with DNC or "Do Not Contact". Can anyone resurrect or find that? I'm a stake clerk, and I've found a member record in one of our wards with that included in the member's name, of all places. I've searched this forum, and at LDS.org and the Handbooks, but haven't found anything (and reading the electronic version isn't as easy as the book version for me, sorry). There used to be special fields for talents, etc., in older versions of MIS/MLS, but not so much anymore.

I would like to poll for suggestions to:
  • How to phrase this to clerks and bishoprics not to do this
  • (chapter and verse of the appropriate instructions would be useful)
  • How to record something like this, but by being waaaay less obvious, if at all
As a matter of course, I intend to encourage our clerks (and bishoprics) to understand that there's really no such category as "Do Not Contact". When encountering members who don't want contact, it's useful to let them know that it's up to them. They should contact the bishop and follow his instructions for what to do. (Which would be to write a letter requesting name removal.)

Thanks in advance
Last edited by B_Seegmiller on Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B_Seegmiller

Re: NOT marking records "Do Not Contact" or DNC

Post by B_Seegmiller »

Once I submitted this, I searched for DNC instead of "Do Not Contact" and finally saw all the hits.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well, this raises a question. The original message was in 2009. Since then we've received a new set of Handbooks. I've not had any luck finding anything in the Handbook, Official Communication Library, or RKTS. It seems all we have is this old, unsigned MLS message, a wiki entry (which says at the bottom "Content found in this wiki may not always reflect official Church information") and a bunch of opinions on the forum.

Can anyone find a current directive?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:Well, this raises a question. The original message was in 2009. Since then we've received a new set of Handbooks.
Can anyone find a current directive?
Yes. The current directive is what has always been the policy of the Church, as expressed in Handbook 2, Section 5.3:
Ward priesthood and auxiliary leaders strive continually to help less-active members return to Church activity. The Savior said, “Unto such shall ye continue to minister; for ye know not but what they will return and repent, and come unto me with full purpose of heart, and I shall heal them; and ye shall be the means of bringing salvation unto them” (3 Nephi 18:32).
That particular MLS message was simply a reminder to avoid some specific clerical practices that are contrary to that overarching directive to "strive continually to help" and to "continue to minister."
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

aebrown wrote: That particular MLS message was simply a reminder to avoid some specific clerical practices that are contrary to that overarching directive to "strive continually to help" and to "continue to minister."
Well, the problem I'm seeing in our stake is where clerks (not sure when or who or how) have actually put in the membership record (apologies to anyone named Doe), the following:
  • "Jane (Do Not Contact) Doe"
    or
    "John (Asks no contact) Doe)"
Everybody in the stake can see that.

aebrown, are you saying that the current directive is that section of the Handbook, or the 2009 directive?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cheerioboy wrote:aebrown, are you saying that the current directive is that section of the Handbook, or the 2009 directive?
I'm saying that the current policy is in the Handbook 2 Section 5.3 that I quoted, and that the 2009 directive gives us direction on a specific clerical detail regarding that policy.

I see no reason why the 2009 directive would not still be in force. Some people assume that when a new Handbook comes out that all previous communications are superseded, but I see no justification for that assumption.
cheerioboy wrote:"John (Asks no contact) Doe"
Regardless of your opinion on the current validity of the 2009 directive, it's quite insensitive to label people like that in a rather public way. And my guess is that this practice was going on in your stake during the time that there was no question about the timeliness of the 2009 directive.
B_Seegmiller

Post by B_Seegmiller »

aebrown wrote:
cheerioboy wrote:aebrown, are you saying that the current directive is that section of the Handbook, or the 2009 directive?
I'm saying that the current policy is in the Handbook 2 Section 5.3 that I quoted, and that the 2009 directive gives us direction on a specific clerical detail regarding that policy.

I see no reason why the 2009 directive would not still be in force. Some people assume that when a new Handbook comes out that all previous communications are superseded, but I see no justification for that assumption.
I agree with you (about the 2009 directive).
aebrown wrote:
cheerioboy wrote:"John (Asks no contact) Doe"
Regardless of your opinion on the current validity of the 2009 directive, it's quite insensitive to label people like that in a rather public way. And my guess is that this practice was going on in your stake during the time that there was no question about the timeliness of the 2009 directive.
I agree with you about it being insensitive for a ward to have done that. And I completely agree with the 2009 directive, I was just asking for clarification, which you provided (thank you!). I was getting some background (which I now have) to direct the clerks and bishoprics in our stake.

Return to “Membership Help”