5th Sunday Lessons Not Appearing

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
Hilohi

5th Sunday Lessons Not Appearing

Post by Hilohi »

The 5th Sunday lessons aren't appearing on our HP lesson schedule on lds.org. I'm pretty sure they used to appear. Does anyone know how I can make the 5th Sunday lessons appear on our lesson schedule, and ultimately edit them?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: 5th Sunday Lessons Not Appearing

Post by russellhltn »

Are you able to see if there is a lesson on that day? Is there an event that's bumping that lesson?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

russellhltn wrote:Are you able to see if there is a lesson on that day? Is there an event that's bumping that lesson?
No and no.

None of the 5th Sunday lessons are appearing on our lesson schedule. In fact, the 5th Sunday dates themselves aren't even appearing on our lesson schedule.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I can't reproduce this. The 5th Sunday lessons are appearing correctly for my ward. Are you an administrator or just a user?

Where are they missing? On the weekly view? On the "View Year" view? both?

If you're an administrator, try creating a new class to see if the dates appear for the new class.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

mevans wrote:I can't reproduce this. The 5th Sunday lessons are appearing correctly for my ward. Are you an administrator or just a user?

Where are they missing? On the weekly view? On the "View Year" view? both?

If you're an administrator, try creating a new class to see if the dates appear for the new class.
I'm an administrator.

They're missing on both the year view (both the date and lesson) and on the weekly view (the date appears, but the lesson doesn't).

Unfortunately, I can't create a new class since all the 2014 5th Sunday dates don't appear on the yearly view of our lesson schedule. I also tried the Insert missing lessons link, and while I could choose a 5th Sunday date, I couldn't input the actual lesson (there's a lesson drop-down menu, but it only includes lessons from the Joseph Fielding Smith manual).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hilohi wrote:Unfortunately, I can't create a new class since all the 2014 5th Sunday dates don't appear on the yearly view of our lesson schedule.
I can't duplicate that. What browser are you using?

Hilohi wrote:I also tried the Insert missing lessons link, and while I could choose a 5th Sunday date, I couldn't input the actual lesson (there's a lesson drop-down menu, but it only includes lessons from the Joseph Fielding Smith manual).
OK, While I can see 5th Sunday dates in year view, I don't have any drop-down lessons to select from. I can only type information in.
It seems only the 2nd and 3rd Sunday have the option of pulling from the manual - and only from the manual selected for the class.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

russellhltn wrote: OK, While I can see 5th Sunday dates in year view, I don't have any drop-down lessons to select from. I can only type information in.
It seems only the 2nd and 3rd Sunday have the option of pulling from the manual - and only from the manual selected for the class.
The tool seems to know that Priesthood/Relief Society only teach from the manual on 2nd and 3rd Sundays. I just created a new priesthood class and it automatically populates the Sundays as follows:
  • 1st: Leadership
  • 2nd: Class Manual
  • 3rd: Class Manual
  • 4th: Teachings for Our Times
  • 5th: Bishopric or Branch Presidency
I'm able to change the default on any specific Sunday just by selecting a different Lesson Type radio button.

russellhltn: Do you see the radio buttons on the 5th Sunday? If you select a the Class Manual radio button, you should be able to select a lesson for the 5th Sunday.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:russellhltn: Do you see the radio buttons on the 5th Sunday? If you select a the Class Manual radio button, you should be able to select a lesson for the 5th Sunday.
Yes, that enables the drop-down.

And I notice that the "Class Manual" radio button is only visible if a class manual has been selected. That probably tripped up some of my testing. A pre-exiting "test class" didn't have a manual set, but somehow the 2nd and 3rd Sundays were filled in.

I also discovered that it may not play well with IE11. Some things seem to get cached and not refreshed properly. Mostly in terms of adding or deleting entire classes. (I added a class and it didn't appear. I managed to add a second class with the same name.) Chrome seems to behave.

Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

russellhltn wrote:
Hilohi wrote:Unfortunately, I can't create a new class since all the 2014 5th Sunday dates don't appear on the yearly view of our lesson schedule.
I can't duplicate that. What browser are you using?

Hilohi wrote:I also tried the Insert missing lessons link, and while I could choose a 5th Sunday date, I couldn't input the actual lesson (there's a lesson drop-down menu, but it only includes lessons from the Joseph Fielding Smith manual).
OK, While I can see 5th Sunday dates in year view, I don't have any drop-down lessons to select from. I can only type information in.
I'm using Safari (version 7.0.4)

The drop-down menu that I was referring to appears when you click on the Insert missing lesson link. That said, I think the Insert missing lesson link is only meant to be used to add missing lessons from the JFS manual and not to add any other lessons.
Hilohi

Post by Hilohi »

What's strange is the 5th Sunday lessons used to appear correctly, but when I went into the lesson schedule this past Sunday to update it, none of the 2014 5th Sunday lessons appears. Furthermore, I can't add any 5th Sunday lessons manually. It's almost as if 5th Sundays don't exist/are valid in our ward's lesson schedule.

Return to “Lesson Schedules”