Seemingly Random "Membership Record Update Report" Printed

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
webmonk

Seemingly Random "Membership Record Update Report" Printed

Post by webmonk »

I regularly have MLS generate "membership record update reports". They print out the record for a member. However, nothing I can see changed on the record that would have caused it to print. Below is an example of what I received. I'm not sure if the batch date has relevance, but we did not submit any changes that day (Monday) or the Sunday prior. Why do I receive these? :confused:

Membership Clerk's Copy
Membership Record Update Report Page
This report shows membership records that have been updated, added, or removed from your ward.
Membership Record Update Batch 26 May 2014 07:50:15
Individual record - Individual Ordinance Summary
Individual record printed
MEMBER'S NAME AND RECORD NUMBER
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Seemingly Random "Membership Record Update Report" Print

Post by russellhltn »

In some cases it might be due to a update done on the website - perhaps by the member. However, the member can't update their name or MRN that way. Are you sure nothing changed with their legal name?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
webmonk

Post by webmonk »

I looked again... this time closer. I saw that the spouse, who was never a member, no longer shows a membership number. For "Member/record number" it now shows "No, "... omitting the number. I can only guess that this might be the reason in this case. Seems odd since this is not an active member and we did not make any change related to the spouse.

I will look more closely at future update reports and see if I see others that don't actually show a difference.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

webmonk wrote:Seems odd since this is not an active member and we did not make any change related to the spouse.
If Church headquarters made a change, you will often get a local printout.
bballrob

Post by bballrob »

lajackson wrote:
webmonk wrote:Seems odd since this is not an active member and we did not make any change related to the spouse.
If Church headquarters made a change, you will often get a local printout.
I had something related to this I believe recently occur. I wasn't exactly sure why, but when we synced MLS, my own record printed as having been updated. I don't have the report handy, but it said something about being related to my Priesthood Ordination being updated. The thing was, I was most recently ordained a High Priest about 4.5 years ago. At the time that this printed though, I had just ordered my Priesthood Line of Authority from Church Headquarters that week. I was wondering if in the course of retrieving that, there had possibly been some slight correction or modification to something in there, but I'm not sure what. The only thing I could possible figure was if the fact that I'm a Junior, and was ordained by my father, who may have previously been noted on the record as Senior, although I don't recall seeing it that way before. But who knows for sure.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bballrob wrote:I was wondering if in the course of retrieving that, there had possibly been some slight correction or modification to something in there, but I'm not sure what.
Eons ago, when the "done by" was listed for every step, all I saw was the name. I'm thinking that the CHQ may have gone the extra step of linking to the actual membership record of the person who ordained you rather than just recording the name. That would certainly simplify things the next time they have to do it for someone you ordain.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

bballrob wrote: I had something related to this I believe recently occur. I wasn't exactly sure why, but when we synced MLS, my own record printed as having been updated. I don't have the report handy, but it said something about being related to my Priesthood Ordination being updated. The thing was, I was most recently ordained a High Priest about 4.5 years ago. At the time that this printed though, I had just ordered my Priesthood Line of Authority from Church Headquarters that week. I was wondering if in the course of retrieving that, there had possibly been some slight correction or modification to something in there, but I'm not sure what.
When requesting your Line of Authority first became available, I was curious if what the church showed matched what I had on file so I requested mine. I'm also a High Priest. The request generated this update to my Membership Record: It added a line showing my Ordination to Elder to the file. This could be the case for you.
phatkrome

Post by phatkrome »

Bumping this topic...

Most of the time I can understand why a report gets generated. However, our latest mystery is a report with just "Individual record - Individual Ordinance Summary" from a (very) less active member. Although I suspect a Salt Lake update, how can I track down what changed? Nothing else on the form.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”