How to enter Fundraiser donations?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
surf40

How to enter Fundraiser donations?

Post by surf40 »

I have a couple of questions on how to handle funds received from the YW from a girls camp fundraiser.

1. They had a dinner, and received some checks, but mostly cash. I know it goes in the "Other, YW camp" account, but under whose name does the cash get entered?

2. Some members just donated money without going to the dinner. How does the clerk enter those funds so the member will get the tax write-off for the donation since they received nothing in return? I know if we put it in the "Other" account it does not show up on the tax receipt printed at the end of the year.

Thanks

Danny
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to enter Fundraiser donations?

Post by russellhltn »

I don't know of any way to give members a tax break on anything donated to the ward - even if they don't receive a benefit. I think this is a matter between them and their tax professional. We're not tax experts.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: How to enter Fundraiser donations?

Post by lajackson »

surf40 wrote:under whose name does the cash get entered?
The name of the member if you have it. Otherwise it is an anonymous donor.
How does the clerk enter those funds so the member will get the tax write-off for the donation since they received nothing in return?
There is no way to enter a donation such as this in a way that will cause MLS to give the member credit for a charitable contribution.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”