Indexing behind a local firewall and squid proxy

Issues related to FamilySearch Indexing
bradgers

Indexing behind a local firewall and squid proxy

Post by bradgers »

Trying to run the FamilySearch Indexing behind a squid firewall, but it steadfastly refuses to run. The first time it runs it tries to download some options and would not even load. Subsequent times, if network access is limited to a proxy, it cannot log in, and claims that the server must be busy.

My global proxy options are such that the computer can touch any website with a browser, and I even changed the java-specific proxy options as well, but it still doesn't work. When I turn on NAT it works fine, so I'm fairly sure it's not any local options on my computer. However, I am reluctant to turn on NAT all the time for what I hope are obvious reasons. Any thoughts? Does the indexing program simply not work with manual proxy settings?

2nd question: I would like my children to be able to index as well, but have their internet access controlled through a whitelist. That is the reason I am using squid in the first place, and also why I cannot use transparent proxying. Are there any sites other than familysearch.org that I would need to add to the whitelist to allow them to index?
bradgers

Re: Indexing behind a local firewall and squid proxy

Post by bradgers »

Well, I found this page: https://familysearch.org/ask/salesforce ... AO&lang=en but its instructions don't work -- same results. My proxy logs show no indication that the indexing program is trying to touch it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you considered using wireshark or some other tool to see the network traffic?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
grantj

Post by grantj »

I use Sophos (a squid type proxy) and found that the web filtering was blocking familysearch.org as being "not categorized". Which caused a number of issues with getting indexing to work.

The first issue was during install and starting up the indexing java applet where a .jar file could not be downloaded. Another issue was not being able to login to the indexing app. And another was getting a server down error when the indexing app tried to open a batch.

The fixes involved adding one of the four domains to the firewall's allow or bypass policy, or the whitelist: familysearch.org, indexing.familysearch.org, ident.familysearch.org, das.familysearch.org

With those four domains allowed to go through the firewall or the content filtering policy/whitelist, the indexing app has worked fine.

Return to “FamilySearch Indexing”