Missing Priesthood Ordination

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
DaleFranc-p40

Missing Priesthood Ordination

Post by DaleFranc-p40 »

I have a brother in our ward that was Baptized in 2004. He was made an elder and he went through the temple with his wife. He then went inactive for a couple years. He has now been reactivated for about a year. In MLS his records still show that he is a priest. However, it also shows that he is endowed. He does not remember who ordained him to the office of an Elder or when it happened.

I talked to the Stake Clerk who found records showing that his name was presented and sustained in Stake Conference, but they also have no record of the date he was ordained or who ordained him. I've searched through all our records, and can only find his priest ordination paper work.

After a year of searching, I've exhausted every avenue I can think of to find out who ordained him and when. What offical proceedures need to be done to get his records straight?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Call SLC for confirmation, but given that no paperwork or witnesses can be found, it's quite possible you'll have to re-ordain him.
craiger

Post by craiger »

I believe handbook 1 has some pretty specific instructions on what is to be done in these situations.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

If the stake shows record that he was sustained, then that should at least narrow it down to a given year. 2004 was only 4 years ago, surely you can track down the bishop (unless he has died). Surely someone that was in the ward at that time remembers something.

You will want to look at page 31 of handbook 1 for further instructions.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

A high councilor or other stake representative should also have been at the ordination. The two witnesses method is best, otherwise the ordination will have to be redone and then the stake president will have to write to the First Presidency to request that the temple ordinances be ratified.

A stake clerk has to work very diligently to see that Melchizedek Priesthood ordinations are recorded. With the new barcoded temple recommends there is another reminder. The stake cannot activate the temple recommend of a brother whose ordination is not on his membership record.
jwnice

MP Ordinations

Post by jwnice »

I have worked in the clerk's offive for 30 years, and getting the MP Priesthood Ordination information from the Stake to enter it on the Brothers record is the most difficult task I have. I just got a certificate (April '08) for a brother that was ordained a High Priest in Nov of 06.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

It is just the reverse here. We get the information to the ward, but cannot get the clerk to enter it into the computer until the stake does a membership audit and stands there while they do it.

We allow our stake representatives to go the clerk's office after the ordination and ask the clerk to enter the ordination right then.
DaleFranc-p40

Post by DaleFranc-p40 »

I finally was able to track down two witnesses to the priesthood ordination. I went through each of the steps listed in the hand book. They wrote testimonies that were signed in the presence of one of the Bishopric that said that the brother was ordained by a specific person in 2004.

MLS however won't let me enter just the year of the ordination. Is there a way to make it accept just the year when entering the ordination.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

DaleFranc wrote:MLS however won't let me enter just the year of the ordination. Is there a way to make it accept just the year when entering the ordination.
No. You will have to enlist the support of the Membership Department. I would start with an MLS membership message to CHQ. Give them the name, date of birth, and record number of the member, along with the ordination information (Elder, 2004). In the message state that the exact date of ordination is not known, and that MLS will not allow you to record it. Ask them to please do it for you.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

DaleFranc wrote:MLS however won't let me enter just the year of the ordination. Is there a way to make it accept just the year when entering the ordination.
You might also try using the Special Request feature under Membership > Records > Special Requests as an alternative to an MLS message.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”