How does my stake know I attended seminary in my old stake?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
moonman239

How does my stake know I attended seminary in my old stake?

Post by moonman239 »

I received credit for attending seminary in my old stake. After that, I moved to my current stake and received credit for all subsequent years.

According to my stake's seminary coordinator, I can graduate in this stake because of the seminary credit I received in my old stake. How will whoever's responsible for verifying that I graduated from seminary see the credit I received in my old stake? Must be the same way BYU can verify that I graduated from seminary. I'm guessing CES keeps a database within which anyone with access can search for that information using someone else's membership record number.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: How does my stake know I attended seminary in my old sta

Post by lajackson »

moonman239 wrote:I'm guessing CES keeps a database within which anyone with access can search for that information using someone else's membership record number.
You are correct that CES keeps a record of your Seminary attendance, but it is not available to just anyone. Only certain CES administrators are able to retrieve the information. And is is used mainly so they will have a record that you have completed the requirements to graduate.

Congratulations on faithfully attending.
moonman239

Post by moonman239 »

OK, so all my stake has to do is contact an authorized CES administrator and ask for whatever information about me that CES is allowed to give them. Will my stake know about my attendance record in my old stake, or just that I received credit for my seminary attendance in that stake? Edit: I just reread your post. According to you, only the former is usually true.
Also, are the authorized CES administrators work with stake leaders who live in a specific region? Do they live and work in Salt Lake City?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

moonman239 wrote:Will my stake know about my attendance record in my old stake, or just that I received credit for my seminary attendance in that stake?
CES will be able to give your stake information that you received credit for the course. I do not know if they will have actual attendance information for prior years, but your stake will know that if you received credit, you attended at least 80% of the time (or did the makeup work).

The CES coordinator who assists with the Seminaries and Institutes in your stake is probably located at the nearest Institute of Religion, usually near a major university. Your stake should also have a member of your stake who serves as a Seminary Coordinator. He or she will know who to contact at CES for the information that is needed. At graduation time, CES actually issues the diplomas based on the records your seminary teachers have been submitting while you were attending Seminary.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I believe there are Seminary reports that can be accessed through MLS or https://si.lds.org/, depending on calling. At least, I am able to see Institute reports for members of my stake by logging onto the Stake MLS.

Return to “General Discussions”