Mobile Platforms and Calendars

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
mafisk

Mobile Platforms and Calendars

Post by mafisk »

I am just looking for thoughts on the best approach for this. Our new bishoprics is pretty evenly spread between iOS and Windows 8 platforms on their phones. I can't find any kind of calendar solution that plays well across platforms.

The LDS Tools app will allow viewing of calendar events but doesn't seem to allow the adding or editing of events.

Is there anyone out there with a suggestion on a good cross platform calendar at little to no cost. Our bishop is new to tech but willing to learn so I need to make sure whatever it is is simple to use.

Thanks in advance.

Brother Matthew Fisk
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Mobile Platforms and Calendars

Post by russellhltn »

What is the calendar for? If you're planning to use it to book the use of the building, especially if there are other units that share the building, you may have no choice but to use the calendar on lds.org. Yes, there is no sync from mobile devices to the calendar, but I have gone to the webpage to update or add an event on my smart phone.

If on the other hand, you're talking about scheduling the bishop's appointments, I think some units use Google calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mafisk

Post by mafisk »

It is for appointments, meetings, etc. so the Bishopric knows each others schedules, etc.

Alas Google Calendar does not play well in windows 8 (at least in a native app), which is what the Bishop is hoping for. You can only do Google Calendar through the web browser on that platform.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Pinning the web page to the start screen might work in the absence of a working native app... Have you considered that?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mafisk wrote:Alas Google Calendar does not play well in windows 8 (at least in a native app), which is what the Bishop is hoping for. You can only do Google Calendar through the web browser on that platform.
Not sure what you've tried, but I did a quick Google and found a Google calendar app for Windows 8. It's not by Google, but a 3rd party, which may explain how it got overlooked.

But if Win8 is part of the mix, the starting point it likely to be what does Win8 sync with?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mafisk

Post by mafisk »

In the end we went with an outlook.com account.

This works with the native Windows8 (desktop or phone) calendar.

iOS calendar also allows you to access an outlook.com account natively

Androids calendar can also access an outlook.com account natively

We also set up Onenote on that account so now all meeting agendas and notes are immediately accessible to all bishopric members - saving the effort of printouts and all past notes are available to review.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”