House hold name, and finding transfer records requests.

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
lunapope

House hold name, and finding transfer records requests.

Post by lunapope »

On Sunday I was handed my visiting teaching slip and saw that my email addressed was changed to an old roommate, which we separated under bad circumstances(not anyone's business there). I have not lived with that roommate since December 2013 and never asked for my records to be transferred to her ward while i was living there, since I never went to that ward to begin with.
When I saw this I went and got the email changed back since I have never asked for my email to change nor did I authorize for it to be changed in any of the church records. I was able to get back on my lds.org account today to make sure that none of my information was changed other then by me , or my authorization. when I went to the directory page and saw that someone also changed my household name to my old roommates last name instead of keeping it with my last name, :mad: I would like to change it back but I cant find a way to edit it. These changes were done with out my knowledge and authorization. I have never been married and if that were the case of a sticky divorce I would understand that but since it isn't I am very upset and worried that there are church leaders changing information without the members authorization or knowledge.

When I was a kid we moved from one ward in northern Utah to a ward in central Utah my first name was changed from the correct spelling to the wrong one this has since been changed back, but I want it to be noted that I do understand we are all human and have mistakes. but since this is a church of chose and doesn't force people to be the same, that it is aloud for everyone to find the truth themselves, that these changes I would love to be able to do. it has come to the point that I would like to see what wards had asked for my records so I know where they were and who had access to them. there are some people that don't need access to this information and shouldn't have any right to change it with out my information.

I know I sound upset and it is because I am. I just want these things fixed and if it is possible for me to see where my records were at(just ward and stake names with dates if available). If the church records locations is unavailable I understand but I do hope for my house hold name to be changed back until I have the marriage certificate to say otherwise.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: House hold name, and finding transfer records requests.

Post by russellhltn »

You need to work with your ward membership clerk. It sounds like there's some kind of mix-up. He would be the contact point for fixing it.

The bulk of people here are other members like yourself. They do not have the ability to make any changes to your record.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I'm sorry you're upset. As russellhltn indicated, your ward membership clerk can help. Bear in mind that us imperfect people are called to manage the records and we can and do make mistakes. In the records there's your real name and a preferred name. When you're working with the clerk, make sure to review both entries to make sure they're correct.

Since you're frustrated and upset about this, I also suggest you make an appointment with your bishop/branch president to express those frustrations. I don't recommend this because I think you've done something wrong--you haven't. I recommend it because you don't want to let a clerical error to turn into a spiritual challenge.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:In the records there's your real name and a preferred name.
There's also a "household" name field. I'd have them check that as well.

Note that the initial change could have happened due to garbled notes passed on to the membership clerk. He's not able to track everyone himself, so as a practical matter he relies on others like the Elders Quorum and Relief Society to feed him correct information.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”