Sony Evi D70 camera for Stake Conf broadcast

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
stephen500

Sony Evi D70 camera for Stake Conf broadcast

Post by stephen500 »

We had a problem with out stake conference broadcast this weekend.
We were using the supplied Sony Evi D70 camera.
Our chapel is nearly all yellow, except the woodwork.
On the monitor all is find, however on the internet receiving site there is too much yellow.
I have taken this pic off the computer screen, see jpeg below (not in the chapel!)
As you can see there is lot's of yellow.
Can we either fit a filter or adjust the balance of the camera to enhance the other colours and brighten the broadcast up? More sharp?
Thanks
Bro Sinclair,
Chester England Stake, Sts.
2nd jpeg shows manual (should we use indoor setting and if so how do we do this. Checked manual said do it via Visca commands. But does not tell us how to do this.
http://www.goelectronic.com/manuals/evid70.pdf
Attachments
tech prob.jpg
(112.57 KiB) Downloaded 571 times
cam.jpg
cam.jpg (48.91 KiB) Viewed 5271 times
michaelfish

Re: Sony Evi D70 camera for Stake Conf broadcast

Post by michaelfish »

Using a filter would be a 'band-aid' solution. I would find out where the problem first presents itself and correct that.

Check each link of the chain by starting at the camera and let us know where the picture becomes bad...

Is the picture okay coming out of the camera (connect a monitor to the video jack)? If not, PM me to learn how to adjust the white balance.

Is the picture okay on the PC monitor (I'm assuming you're using the Webcast software solution)? If not, check the capture card for adjustments, driver updates, connections, etc. It may be a bad capture device.

If everything is okay on the sending side and your problem shows up at the receiving end, there may be a problem with the encoding or color on the receiving PC video card (or monitor).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I have to say I'm disturbed with the report that it appears OK on one monitor but not on another. That certainly suggests the system is changing things, but it might be in the eye of the beholder. The jpeg above isn't all the grand, but I wouldn't call it "yellow". It could certainly use more lighting and a manual color balance. It's not the professional grade one would see at conference, more of a "home production look", but not really objectionable for most people unless they're expecting professional.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
stephen500

Post by stephen500 »

On the direct monitor from the camera all is well, we use the webcast communicator supplied by the church (see jpeg) below. it is the picture received on the receiving end..ie the receiving chapel that has the problem.
Btw we use the lan cables to feed the signal to the web communicator from the camera. Saves lots of wiring, and does not appear to reduce the quality of the signal to the camera monitor at the webcast communicator out feed to the internet. We have 2 monitors, one from the camera direct and one as just stated on the "out" feed to the internet. both of these show a clear concise balanced colour pic. it is just the receiving computers. we use a chapel with 12 mbps speed.
Attachments
webcast_communicator.jpg
Webcast communicator
(37.55 KiB) Downloaded 534 times
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

we use the lan cables to feed the signal to the web communicator from the camera
I hope you used a good quality baluns to get the signal through the LAN cables.
We have 2 monitors, one from the camera direct and one as just stated on the "out" feed to the internet
How are you getting one signal into 2 monitors? Are you splitting the video signal or using a video distribution amplifier?
we use a chapel with 12 mbps speed
Downloading with 12 Mbps is great but the upload speed is more critical. The speed of the upload stream device should be set to half of your total sending upload capability. For example, if my stake center has an Internet speed of 12 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up, I would set my webcast streaming device to encode the signal at .5 Mbps (500 Kbps) or less.

What is your sending location's upload (and download) speed?
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Here is the proper way to test for problems in the setup...

Start with the fewest number of components. In this case just a camera and the Webcast Communicator. After checking the camera's picture on a monitor and verified the picture quality, connect it to the webcast communicator using a good quality six foot RCA video cable. Then start a Webcast (test).

Check the receiving building video's quality. You may even check the reception on several computers (like some of the clerk's PC's). If the same problem is experienced on every PC, there is something wrong in the Webcast Communicator. You've eliminated all other possibilities (splitters, adapters, cable length, etc.). This is assuming your ISP upload stream (where the Webcast Communicator is) fast enough and the ISP download speed at the receiving building is also fast enough.

If the picture is okay on the PC's, there is something wrong with the wiring or setup. When have problems, I eliminate and bypass things to see if it make any difference on the output.

Sometimes when I cannot find out what is wrong, I have to eliminate everything and start from scratch, adding pieces one by one until I find the wrong/defective/incorrectly-wired component.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

From Post
...I do have to say, we need to find better quality out there than the Sony EVI-D70. I find this camera very old 80s technology, and a sub standard image. Lots of yellow hues, and a rough PTZ control.
I think we could find better quality cameras than security cameras.
Cameras with better color, resolution and PTZ control are available...

Check out these PTZ cameras designed for Worship Service from Sony (link), Vaddio, (link), Panasonic (link) and Canon (link) however, I think you will find the price of high quality color quality and extremely fine PTZ operation will be much more expensive than the D70.

The Sony EVI-D70 PTZ camera was suggested to the LDS community years ago with a purchase price around $900. IMO, the church's recommendation was a well thought out and economical choice. Even though it is categorized as a security camera, it's quality, design and functionality has made it a popular Worship Service PTZ solution with other manufacturers as well, who resell it under their own name (see Axis and Vaddio).

The camera's picture does produce a few video artifacts (small yellow and purple blotches), but please consider it's price and features before discounting it completely. Also, keep in mind the many extra features this camera supports with the RM-BR300 or Vaddio ProductionVIEW Precision Camera Controller including a single controller for up to 7 cameras, individual iris override, backlight compensation, white balance options, even fine tuning of red and blue channels for color balancing a multi-camera set-up, all with a joystick servo controller for PTZ control.

If there is a better choice than the EVI-D70 with the same or better features for less than $300, I'd love to check it out!

BTW, a quick check of eBay reported used Sony EVI-D70 cameras in working condition selling for as little as $100 - in working condition.

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”