E-mail Settings

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
fernsten

E-mail Settings

Post by fernsten »

We had a calendar administrator remove our default ward activities calendar. Historically, we would have a reminder e-mail sent a day before our ward activities. A new calendar labeled "Ward Activities" was created, but no e-mails are generated to the ward when they are scheduled to do so. My assumption is that everyone in the ward would now need to opt-in to receive e-mails for this new calendar. Unfortunately it's a tall order to spread that word. Any way to fix the issue? Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Re: E-mail Settings

Post by aebrown »

fernsten wrote:We had a calendar administrator remove our default ward activities calendar. Historically, we would have a reminder e-mail sent a day before our ward activities. A new calendar labeled "Ward Activities" was created.... My assumption is that everyone in the ward would now need to opt-in to receive e-mails for this new calendar.
In general, that assumption would be incorrect. There is a calendar setting (under Options) for each person called "Auto subscribe to new ward calendars." The default setting is for that option to be checked. In my experience, very few members know about that option, and of those who know about it, very few uncheck that option. So unless your members are very unusual, I would think that the vast majority of your members would have that option checked, and thus when the new "Ward Activities" calendar was created, most of your members would have been auto-subscribed.
fernsten wrote:...but no e-mails are generated to the ward when they are scheduled to do so.
Before you worry about the question of who is subscribed, I would recommend that you do some research in this area. Work with someone who you know has all the correct notification options set for the new calendar (they are subscribed, have the overall calendar notifications turned on, and have notifications turned on for that calendar). Then make a change to an event on the new calendar, making sure that you check the box "Send an email about this event" and choose "Now" before you save the change.

If that email is sent, then you should be in good shape for the vast majority of your members. If it is not sent, then you have some other problem. In that case, I'd recommend that you repeat this limited test with a different preexisting calendar.
fernsten

Post by fernsten »

aebrown wrote: Before you worry about the question of who is subscribed, I would recommend that you do some research in this area. Work with someone who you know has all the correct notification options set for the new calendar (they are subscribed, have the overall calendar notifications turned on, and have notifications turned on for that calendar). Then make a change to an event on the new calendar, making sure that you check the box "Send an email about this event" and choose "Now" before you save the change.

If that email is sent, then you should be in good shape for the vast majority of your members. If it is not sent, then you have some other problem. In that case, I'd recommend that you repeat this limited test with a different preexisting calendar.
I finally got around to doing some additional troubleshooting. No e-mails go out on any calendars regardless of whether they are marked to send now or later. I've verified with multiple ward members. Any thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

There seems to be a known problem when a user is removed from the system because they died. Has anyone in the ward recently passed away?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
fernsten

Post by fernsten »

russellhltn wrote:There seems to be a known problem when a user is removed from the system because they died. Has anyone in the ward recently passed away?
That's a strange bug. We have had deaths in the ward between the time when the e-mail setting was properly working and since I noticed that it stopped functioning.

Return to “Calendar”