Temporary vs Non-member

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Temporary vs Non-member

Post by lajackson »

In MLS, what is the difference between the list of Temporary Members and the list of Non-members? I ran across this today while trying to help a ward sort out why none of the children were on the Primary rolls.

The Temporary list had 42 on it, and the Non- list had 40. I was not able to discern any special attribute that the two names had over the others. Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

A couple of wild guesses:

1) The 2 are "out of unit" members.
or
2) The records have been requested but have not yet arrived.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

As I have looked at this, I noticed that Nonmember Records also show up in the Temporary Records section.

I think that the difference is that "Temporary Records" are those which have a "temporary" or local record number assigned (i.e. the record numbers that include the unit number as part of the number) versus a record number assigned by CHQ. A "Temporary Record" would likely be created when a "Child of Record" record is created. That temporary record (along with its temporary/local record number) would exist in the local MLS database until CHQ transmits the "official" record, at which time the local "Temporary Record" should get automatically deleted.

Apparently sometimes things fall through the cracks, that is why MLS has the option to manually remove these records.

Then again, this is just my best guess based on observations of MLS.
jfackerson

Post by jfackerson »

With new policy that non-member records may only be created for those non-members who give some kind of permission (method yet undefined), I've deleted most of mine on our ward management system. Non-member spouses abound in our ward, but I've never seen anything signed from any of them giving us permission to create a temp record using their name. Note, that there's now no option to add a Date of Birth for any non-member spouse. Adding Date of Birth for NMs was possible using MIS.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

H. Forth wrote:With new policy that non-member records may only be created for those non-members who give some kind of permission (method yet undefined), I've deleted most of mine on our ward management system.
You mention a "new policy"; maybe I missed something, but I don't recall getting notified of such a policy. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad idea to get permission from nonmembers to include them in MLS, but I haven't heard of that as official policy. I would appreciate someone filling me in on where that policy is so I can be fully informed.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:You mention a "new policy"; maybe I missed something, but I don't recall getting notified of such a policy. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad idea to get permission from nonmembers to include them in MLS, but I haven't heard of that as official policy. I would appreciate someone filling me in on where that policy is so I can be fully informed.
I should have looked before I posted. In the MLS help file, under "Nonmember Records," it says:
Create a nonmember record only when the nonmember is related to a member of your ward and you have the permission of the nonmember.
So that seems like a reasonable statement of policy, but that has been in place for a long time. I'm still left wondering if there has been some new policy statement or reaffirmation of existing policy.
jfackerson

Post by jfackerson »

We would create a temp record for non-member spouses, especially husbands so that they'd appear as Heads of House within membership directories and on MIS rolls. This we did, out of respect for their position within family.
LUWS does not list any male non-member heads of house. I don't think that it ever has. FOIA issues, I suppose. Furthermore, we now need permission (type, undefined) to create temp records for NM HofH within MLS.
As for some "formal policy statement", I'm limited to what I just discovered within MLS 2.8.1, before recent upgrade.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”