Ancestry.com?

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
zaneclark

Ancestry.com?

Post by zaneclark »

Not sure if this is even appropriate for the tech forum, but I just heard that Ancestry.com is going to be made available to church members free of charge on our home computers....anyone else heard this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Ancestry.com?

Post by russellhltn »

Check the details of FamilySearch Works to Put the World’s Historical Records Online in One Generation.

The thing is, I haven't heard when this will happen. Or if it will include all of Ancestry's collection.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I received an email from Family Search this week informing me that 3 commercial sites, including Ancestry.com, were now available free to members using their LDS Account login. They provided a link in the email to each of the sites where I can sign up. My question is, how can I get his information out to the members with the login information? I suppose I could forward the post to the members, but it seems their should be a link on Family Search that I could refer to. I have been unable to find such a link....
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I think you will find that invitations will be sent out, to all members by the fall. I believe the strategy is to make it a phased roll out, so as not to overload the partner systems. This is my interpretation of various communications I've seen.

So I think it would be prudent, at this time, to wait. Various members in my Stake have already received their invitations. You're fortunate, I'm still waiting for mine, even though I'm the STS!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:I received an email from Family Search this week informing me that 3 commercial sites, including Ancestry.com, were now available free to members using their LDS Account login. They provided a link in the email to each of the sites where I can sign up. My question is, how can I get his information out to the members with the login information? I suppose I could forward the post to the members, but it seems their should be a link on Family Search that I could refer to. I have been unable to find such a link....
The email specifically says (at the bottom in italics): "This invitation is meant specifically for you. Please do not forward this notice. Forwarded invitations will not allow others to get free access."

As Biggles mentioned, this rollout is being done gradually. Every member with a FamilySearch account will eventually receive this same email, but it will take a few months for everyone to get it.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

If you currently have the standard calling "Family History Consultant" in your unit, you should be receiving your invitation in the near future. If you believe you are currently serving as a Family History Consultant, but have not received your invitation, you should contact your unit clerk to ensure you have been entered as the standard calling "Family History Consultant".

My wife is a FHC Director, and has received her invitation, which she cannot share with me, the Stake Clerk and STS. So I am a little frustrated, but will be patient.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The roll-out scheduled can be seen in this familysearch blog post. As you can see, some members will be some time away.

I've heard that the roll-out is currently limited to 7,000 per week to keep from overwhelming the system. At this point I'd suggest everyone that wants an invite sooner then later become "Active FamilySearch.org users".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
angietrunk

Post by angietrunk »

how do you sign in with an lds account ive been trying so hard to figure it out but no dice
:cry: :roll:
~angie
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Ancestry.com and the other sites do not support LDS Account login. Instead, you need to go to this page:
https://familysearch.org/partneraccess
And follow the links to set up a new account (for free) with Ancestry.com and/or the other sites.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
angietrunk

Post by angietrunk »

also can u link your family tree with familysearch???????
~angie

Return to “Family History”