Melchizedek Priesthood interview and recording process...

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dbyram

Melchizedek Priesthood interview and recording process...

Post by dbyram »

A brother in our ward came to meet with a stake presidency leader last night. The meeting was to have him interviewed to prepare for MP ordination. Unfortunately he was turned away because he did not have the form that showed that the Bishop had interviewed him and approved him to be ordained. What is the form that he should have had and who is responsible for getting that form to the Bishop and then to the member? What is the general process for a brother to receive the Melchizedek priesthood? Thank you for your help. I am the ward assistant membership clerk currently but served six years ago briefly as the Ward Clerk so I have forgotten the process and could not find any information in MLS.
eblood66

Re: Melchizedek Priesthood interview and recording process..

Post by eblood66 »

dbyram wrote:A brother in our ward came to meet with a stake presidency leader last night. The meeting was to have him interviewed to prepare for MP ordination. Unfortunately he was turned away because he did not have the form that showed that the Bishop had interviewed him and approved him to be ordained. What is the form that he should have had and who is responsible for getting that form to the Bishop and then to the member? What is the general process for a brother to receive the Melchizedek priesthood? Thank you for your help. I am the ward assistant membership clerk currently but served six years ago briefly as the Ward Clerk so I have forgotten the process and could not find any information in MLS.
You want the Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination Record. You can print one from MLS using Membership > Ordinations > Forms. Generally someone prints the form (possibly a clerk, possibly the executive secretary or possibly even the bishop--it depends on whatever works best for your bishopric). The bishop signs it after his interview. In our stake, the ward delivers it to the stake and the stake calls the brother to set up an appointment. But it sounds like your stake expects the member to bring the form (after the bishop signs it) with them to the interview.

Exactly how the process works can vary from stake to stake and ward to ward.
bballrob

Re: Melchizedek Priesthood interview and recording process..

Post by bballrob »

The Bishop should receive authorization from the Stake Presidency prior to initiating an interview to confer the Melchizedek Priesthood and ordain to be an Elder, or to interview to ordain someone a High Priest.(Handbook 1, Sections 7.1.5.3 and 16.7.1 cover this).

Return to “Membership Help”