Directory of Members with HT and VT included

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
jacobsimonson

Directory of Members with HT and VT included

Post by jacobsimonson »

How do I make a member directory that shows both HT and VT for each family?
Please respond to jjacob@tamu.edu

frustrated bishop in Tejas
benpettit

Re: Directory of Members with HT and VT included

Post by benpettit »

I believe you can do that using custom reports. My directions may not be perfect as I'm thinking about it from memory, but under the "report" tab (maybe the "membership" tab) at the top of the screen on MLS you should be able to find "custom Reports". I think it is in a sub-file heading within the menu. Once you find it, you will need to set criteria for who will be included on the report (your whole ward), and then you need to include what you want included on the report (Name, HT, VT). I think once you get to the 'custom report' section it will be fairly intuitive. Hope it helps.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

A custom report should be able to do most of what you want, but there are some challenges.

Custom Reports are in MLS in the Reports/Forms screen, or on the Membership menu.

The challenge you face is that custom reports are oriented towards individuals, not households. You can try to compensate for that by adding a criterion (Household Position -- is -- Head of Household) and including the "Head of House and Spouse" field instead of the Preferred Name. That would let you report on households and their home teachers. But doing it that way would not allow you to report on visiting teachers, because for every household with a male HoH, you would be essentially reporting on him, and of course he wouldn't have visiting teachers.

You could report on all the adults in the ward as individuals (use a criterion such as Age -- is or is greater than -- 18, or something like Household Position -- is -- Head of Household -- or Household Position -- is -- Spouse). That would allow you to show home and visiting teachers, but you would lose the household grouping.

Another possibility that might be the best option would be to report only on women (Combine a criterion for Sex -- is -- Female and the criterion for Household Position being HoH or Spouse I mentioned above). Then you could report on HT and VT.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jacobsimonson wrote:How do I make a member directory that shows both HT and VT for each family?
As noted, there is a data structure issue with this request. HTs are assigned to a household, but VT is assigned to each adult female. As such, it's possible that multiple VT could be assigned to a single household if there are adult daughters living at home.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jirp

Post by jirp »

Would the Household report solve your problem? It includes way more information but it does include all contact information and VT and HT
rsmellor

Post by rsmellor »

I have also been thinking about how to do this. One difficult solution is to create a custom field like "HT/VT Report" and then apply that custom field to all females 18 and older and all males 18 and older that are single. Then you create a custom report that contains the criteria to only select that custom field. Set the format to show Head of Household and Spouse and the associated HT and VT. If anyone has found a better way please let me know.
Richardmellor@sbcglobal.net

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”