Send Message with live link

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
zaneclark

Send Message with live link

Post by zaneclark »

I have started using HTML tags to change the font, etc in the Send a Message app, but now I would like to include a live link to another web page such as conference talks. I have tried using the standard HTML tags for this, but they don't seem to work... Any suggestions?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Send Message with live link

Post by russellhltn »

You might try pasting the URL as just text and see what happens. I know some email readers will change it into a clickable link. It's possible the re-mailer will do it as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:I have started using HTML tags to change the font, etc in the Send a Message app, but now I would like to include a live link to another web page such as conference talks. I have tried using the standard HTML tags for this, but they don't seem to work... Any suggestions?
I entered the following in a message:

Code: Select all

Go to http://lds.org and then
sign in to <a href="http://familysearch.org">FamilySearch</a>
And the message I received looked exactly how I expected:
Go to http://lds.org and then
sign in to FamilySearch
My email client picked up the LDS.org URL and turned it into a link. I examined the original HTML of the email message and could see that the original did NOT have a link, which proves that the Send A Message feature did not turn the URL into a link. So if you use that technique, you'll be dependent on how all the different email clients used by your recipients treat URLs.

But for the FamilySearch URL, the <a> tag worked just like I would have expected -- the original HTML of the email message has the <a> tag, and my email client displayed it as a link. I would think that most email clients would handle that just fine.

When you say "they don't seem to work," what are you seeing when you use the <a> tag? Do you see the HTML tag in your message, or is the correct text displayed, but not as a link, or something else?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I was over thinking the problem.... I simply typed in the url as suggested without any html tags and, at least in the test post, it worked perfectly! Thank you!

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”