Browser issue: Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
rayfroess

Browser issue: Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox

Post by rayfroess »

I posted "Five major problems with the Newsletter" and Internet Explorer 11 was one of them. I have 3 computers running Windows 7 and if I attempt to paste from Word into a new article it's ignored. I can type text in but not paste. It won't paste from Notepad which is unformatted text either. In fact it won't copy/paste from text (test page) I've already typed into the newsletter.

I also have both Chrome and Firefox open and it pastes correctly into them except that all font style is lost (font, size, italic, underline and bold). The text I pasted included numbered and bulleted lists and they appear with the number/bullet imbedded in the text. If there are multiple lines in a list item they aren't indented below the number/bullet.

Pasted lists
• Bullet 1
• Bullet 2
• Bullet 3

1. Number 1
2. Number 2
3. Number 3

Resultant list after saving
• Bullet 1 • Bullet 2 • Bullet 3

1. Number 1 2. Number 2 3. Number 3

When I save the Chrome or Firefox article the numbered/bulleted list is combined into a single paragraph as the hard returns are ignored. The solution is to select the numbered/bulleted list before saving, click the number/bullet format button then delete each of the pasted numbers/bullets. The edited and saved article is formatted with a space between list items.

If you attempt to copy/paste a poem such as below which is single spaced it becomes a single paragraph.

Pasted lists
Oh, how lovely was the morning!
Radiant beamed the sun above.
Bees were humming, sweet birds singing,
Music ringing thru the grove,

Resultant list after saving
Oh, how lovely was the morning! Radiant beamed the sun above. Bees were humming, sweet birds singing, Music ringing thru the grove,

I opened the IE article to add a photo. It says the image is uploading but nothing is uploaded. All that happens is that the red User Agreement appears. Chrome or Firefox upload and save images fine.
davewhite

Re: Browser issue: Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox

Post by davewhite »

Seems that the calendar entry will support tags, such as return.

If I insert the following, it will add a return to the text (instead of the characters):
<br/>

However, sometimes it removes spacing from the text in an unpredictable way.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Browser issue: Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox

Post by russellhltn »

davewhite wrote:However, sometimes it removes spacing from the text in an unpredictable way.
It does it on a word-wrap of the original text. So I think you should be able to hard-code line breaks to avoid that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Newsletter”