Please discontinue Sony EVI-D70 recommendation

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
michaelfish

Please discontinue Sony EVI-D70 recommendation

Post by michaelfish »

Please consider removing the Sony EVI-D70 PTZ camera as a recommended PTZ camera purchase by stakes for webcasting.

Sony has replaced this unit with the EVI-D80, which has 20% better resolution and the same price.

In addition for 10% more, stakes can purchase the EVI-D90 with 20% better resolution and 50% better optical zoom.

Specification links: EVI-D70, EVI-D80, and EVI-D90
ssintay

Re: Please discontinue Sony EVI-D70 recommendation

Post by ssintay »

Thank you for the update. I had not shopped for these recently, but we were considering buying another.
davidscott59

Post by davidscott59 »

FYI, we purchased one of the D90 units. its quality was horrible! Don't why, since it does have high res, but it had horrible purple hues and shadows on people, along with the yellow shadows like the D70s. I returned the D90 for a D70... :( not the best, but works. Wish we could use CMOS cameras.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davidscott59 wrote:it had horrible purple hues and shadows on people, along with the yellow shadows like the D70s.
Did you try a manual white balance? I suspect most chapels are horrid places with a mix of different lighting. The chapel I attend is a mixture of CFL and halogen. In the daytime I have sunlight added to the mix. And the "tint" of the CFLs seems to change a bit with each bulb change.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
harddrive

Post by harddrive »

davidscott59 wrote:FYI, we purchased one of the D90 units. its quality was horrible! Don't why, since it does have high res, but it had horrible purple hues and shadows on people, along with the yellow shadows like the D70s. I returned the D90 for a D70... :( not the best, but works. Wish we could use CMOS cameras.
We use the D70 in our stake and the only problem is that we have had with this camera is the sycadellec look with lines, like on ties. The other issue is that our building still has brick wall behind the podium and with the lighting that is in the chapel, the CFL bulb that they put in causes the lines on the wall to be yellow or purple. It can be very distracting. When we turned off the lights behind the podium that problem went away.

The biggest problem that I believe is that the lighting in the chapel. They have not be designed for broadcasting. It would be nice to have the chapel lighting set up for broadcasting and weekly meetings.
michaelfish

Post by michaelfish »

Since you have tried both cameras, I'd be interested in how they compare against each other.

Most features between the two cameras are the same but specifications on the D90 indicate 15% better resolution and 35% better optical zoom than the D70 model.

How much of a difference did you see in RESOLUTION (not color) and ZOOM (optical, not digital), when connected to a really good monitor (S-Video cable connected directly to a CRT TV monitor)?

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”